30.| blood splatter

He pulled the trigger

                     He pulled the trigger. Blood splattered everywhere. The ears were ringing, everything froze for a moment. The air stopped getting into or out of the lungs. The smell of gun powder filled the room. The wind outside howled, it started raining harder till every drop felt like another shot.

And all she could was scream.

Orion's body went limp on the ground. Blood oozed out of his head. The gun laid on the floor on the side. His eyes were wide open, they stared up at the ceiling yet they were completely blank. No shine, no emotion, nothing.

The world stopped existing at that moment. The moment she realised that Orion had just killed himself.

Warm blood littered her face. Drops of it could be felt everywhere on her body. It made the situation even more real. Her body shook violently that the chair started squeaking.

And then she started screaming again.

She screamed and screamed until her voice cracked and sounded hoarse.

● ● ● ● ● ●

"Alistair!" It was her. It was definitely her but he couldn't tell if it was real or his imagination playing tricks on him.

"Did you hear that?" Sully stopped in his tracks. His breath hitched.

"Sullivan!"

Another yell was heard and this time, they had no doubt that it was real. They ran as fast as their legs could carry them towards the noise. The ground beneath them felt steadier than ever as their hearts pounded and muscles leaped into action.

It was a still moment in time. It was as if they were running in a treadmill. Running and running yet nothing changed in the woods. Nothing showed up.

"Mom!"

The sound got louder yet still not loud enough for them to be close to her.

Alistair closed his eyes. His heart beating a mile a minute. His breath fast, couldn't quite catch it. His muscles ached and burned. It took all of his will to stand. His mind racing rapidly, it almost went blank.

He inhaled deeply and let his body lead him to her.

His body wasn't his when it came to her.

He walked carefully, looking for that place where his heart laid. He made a path for himself, a path to Brooke.

The woods went still and silent at his careful steps. Brooke hadn't shouted again and Sullivan followed him quietly.