26.| here goes his heart again

It was no secret that Alistair has developed a huge crush on Brooke

                      It was no secret that Alistair has developed a huge crush on Brooke. How could he not? She was everything good left in his world and he wanted to cherish that.

But with feeling attached to people and hanging out with them so much, you start to have certain exceptions, and the disappointment that comes with not fulfilling those exceptions is very hard to deal with, it's almost heart breaking.

Disappointment turned into an ugly monster and scratched the inside of Alistair stomach. It caused him to feel sick. He tried to play it off. He tried to pretend like nothing happened but he has never been good at pretending.

Brooke and him were supposed to meet for pizza today at their favorite pizzeria. They planned to meet at 4:00, it was almost 6:00.

She had never been late. She always arrives a few minutes earlier. She likes being punctual. It was one of her biggest pet peeves when people arrive late.

He gave her the benefit of the doubt and decided to call to check up on her, although it made him feel clingy and annoying.

The phone rang until he got sent to voice mail. Something stirred in Alistair's chest. She always answers her phone.

He debated whether or not to go to her house. But what would he say to her parents? What if she is there and okay and didn't want to meet with him? What if she is not okay? Maybe he is overstepping boundaries? Maybe she forgot about their little meeting?

Except he knew Brooke isn't the type of person to forget a meeting and if she didn't want to meet with him or something had come up, she would have called or texted.

The disappointment turned into an anxious worm this time. Wrecking havoc in his mind and heart.

He called again, multiple times. He even called her friends and they had no idea where she went.

After that, he knew that he must go to her house. Maybe her parents knew something, they didn't.

He didn't doubt himself or his thoughts as they were fuelled by pure worry about her and her wellbeing. He can't afford to have something bad happens to her.

The wind was screeching as he drove by, it was strong and angry. The clouds were closing in on each other as the sky got gray. With every leaf that fell, his worries grew. There was flock of crows near the sidewalk of Brooke's house and the moment he drove by, they started chirping loudly causing his heartbeat to accelerate.

He didn't know how he parked the car, he just found himself running to towards her front door.

He knocked eagerly, and the seconds it took to open the door felt like painful hours.

He was worried sick.

Was it a gut feeling or was this a trick his mind played on him?

Brooke's father opened the door with a confused expression. He had no idea who could knock like that. They weren't expecting anyone. 

"Alistair? What are you doing here? Aren't you sup-" The father started to talk but Alistair had no time for pleasantries.

"Where's Brooke?" He asked frantically. His voice never wavering but a bit breathless.

"What do you mean? Isn't she supposed to be with you?" Jacob Reels, Brooke's father, was even more confused. He started to worry as the boy features somehow got darker and more worrisome.

"She didn't make it to the pizzeria. She is not with Sully or Izzy and she is not answering her phone." Luna Reels, Brooke's mother, has just come up to them. She stood by her husband with furrowed eyebrows.

"I think she might be in danger. It has been two hours since she left the house and nobody has heard from her." Alistair said.

Brooke was known for spending time alone away from everybody. Sometimes she would take the dogs out for a walk alone but she would always inform somebody of her whereabouts.

Her parents started calling numbers. Their neighbours, coworkers and the local hospital.

It seemed like she disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Alistair felt helpless, useless and he was driving himself insane with his thoughts. His legs bounced up and down. He bit the dead skin around his fingernails as anxiety flooded his system. He could barely breathe. The room seemed too dim, too small and it tilted to the right every few seconds. He felt like he was falling into an abyss of chilling thoughts.

His world was falling apart.

Until it was not.

He sprung into action as he remembered that his dad was a police officer and he was still in contact with some of his dad's old friends.

"I am going to the police station. I know some people." With no further explanation to Mr and Mrs Reels, he rode in his black car again and drive like a manic towards his old home.

He spent a lot of time in that police station when he was younger. Not for being a rebel but for loving what his father did and enjoying the thrill that comes with being the son of a well known officer.

Again, he didn't know how he got there but he found himself in front of Sargent Chadwick office.

He didn't bother to knock on the door or announce himself. He walked inside to see two young officers and his Dad's old friend talking.

They stopped mid-sentence, turned to him with fast reflexes. All of them shocked.

"Hey, Ali. It's nice to see you, son but I have-"

"My friend is missing and I think I know who took her."