31.| uselessness is killing them

It was an unspoken rule, that nobody asks Brooke about what happened a week ago

Every time somebody brought it up, it caused her to lash out or to break down. And those two sides were rarely visible before.

She was known for her strength. She was known for being calm and collected but now everything seemed to be constantly falling apart. She could barely recognise herself. Before the incident, she has been the girl that followed her heart. She has done what she could to make the world a little nicer, kinder. Recently, she just questions who she really is. Is she really as kind as she thought she was? Is she naive? Does nothing matter in the grand scheme of things? It felt pointless to be anything, let alone act normal and okay.

Finding out that she had been the downfall of a fellow classmate, has crushed her spirit, destroyed her sense of self and demolished any optimism she had. It seems like no matter what she does, she ends up hurting someone and she couldn't, wouldn't come to terms with that.

Was the human life always this insignificant? She wondered but then she remembered Lincoln, Rosa Park, Martin Luther King Jr, Marie Curie, Jane Austen and all of those people who changed the course of generations. It was a small action made when it mattered the most that left a huge impact.

But she didn't do or make anything. She was completely useless when it mattered.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

             Alistair missed Brooke. Sometimes it feels like she is still missing. She wasn't her usual self and that much was obvious but what wasn't so clear was how to make her feel better.

Alistair had no idea. He had isolated himself for months before Brooke, and his knowledge of human interactions was gone. He doesn't know how to make her feel better. Her family and friends have tried so why should it be any different with him. He was useless.

And it made him nervous for some reason. He was afraid he would fail Brooke. He didn't want to lose her when he has just gotten her back.

He gathered his wits and decided to go on a quest to find things that would make her feel better.

He went around town collecting little trinkets, a book and a bag full of junk food that he wished he could eat at that moment.

He drove his trusty car towards her house, his heart hummed as loud as his car engine. His cheeks were warming up the closer he got. He felt ridiculous for feeling like that so he ignored it.

He knew his feelings towards her and what they meant. It was clearer than ever now that he came so close to losing her. He liked her.