New family (1/4)

Trigger ⚠️ Warning ⚠️: slight mention of abuse/sexual assault

This chapter is not a y/n chapter I named the POV Tessa

It's about adoption

How did I end up here?

Backstory:
At age 13 my 8 year old sister and I became orphans and was tossed into the foster care system which is where I stayed for the next year. One day I was down town San Jose hitting my daily rounds of pick pockets when I touched the wrong lady's pocket and she say me.

"Excuse me young lady." She was Australian, and she also grabbed my wrist.

"I'm sorry I just needed 3 more dollars to get my sister dinner tonight." I said attempting to pull away just as a cop began to walk closer to us.

"Is there a problem here?" He said looking at us.

She grabbed my hand and said
"No officer we're fine." And we walked for a block in silence so that I could go get my sister from the bus stop I told her to wait at.

"Young lady do you really need the money for food?" She said directing us into a store.

"Yes.. our foster mom don't feed us." I said looking down at my sister.

"Sit." She said walking up to the counter.

Jessica just sat at the nearest table and played with my phone. The lady came back 10 minutes later with a tray of food.

"My name is Karen by the way." She said sitting down.

"I'm Lauren Teresa and that's Jessica, but we prefer to be called Tessa and Jessa." I said handing Jessa a chicken strip which was devoured.

"Nice to formally meet you. How far is your house from here?" She asked.

"It's 7 blocks, but we can't go home until tomorrow because our foster mom has her boyfriend over on Fridays and we can't be there until he leaves... Last time he hurt me and I'm not letting that happen again." I said munching on a few fries. I look up to see that Karen looked horrified.

"I'm gonna go make a phone call." She said heading to the door.

Karen was gone for 30 whole minutes and came back with a police officer and our case worker. I instantly began to cry. They are gonna separate us. I look to see Jessa crying on the floor next to me hiding.

"We can just run." She said.

"We have no where to go..." I told her letting a tear run past my face.

Karen comes into the restaurant and says to me
"You guys need to go with them now and they will have to keep you apart, but I will be back and you guys will see each other again." She said wiping the tears from my face.

"That's what the last lady told us Karen." I said pushing her hand away and picking up Jessa to go out to the car.

*5 Weeks later*

I've been in the group home for 5 whole weeks and only get to see Jessa on Sunday's. She's with this nice little family who's considering adopting. I'm excited for her. If one of us can be okay after this it should be her.

"Tess boss lady is downstairs and she said bring your stuff. You're leaving." My roommate Rocky said.

"Thanks." I said packing my things. This happens sometimes they just gotta relocate you.

I had my things and made my way downstairs saying goodbye to everyone. When I got to the bottom I see my caseworker standing next to Karen and Jessa. I run to Jessa and pick her up.