Harder

"I just don't know what to do any more, Mallory," I say looking toward the woman with tired eyes.

"It just happens sometimes, it's also not that big of a deal!" She says scolding me and I roll my eyes.

"What do you mean it's not that big of a deal? It's a huge deal!" I say and she laughs in my face.

"You're looking too much into it, Nat," She says and I leave my mouth gaping open.

"Are you kidding me? No I'm not!" I say laughing a little bit, I can't believe she's saying that it's not a big deal.

"So what! Layna said her first word, nothing is wrong with that," She says smiling at me and I rest my head in my hands.

"Her first word was 'dad', of all things it was dad." I say and Layna pops her head up from playing with some toys, she then proceeds to say it again. "Layna, it's supposed to be 'mama', not 'dad'!" I say as I pick her up from playing with her toys. Regardless of what her first word was, I'm proud of her for saying any word. She's known her father for less than a full month and she is already calling him by name, ridiculous. Especially, since I never once mentioned to her that she even had a dad, not until he showed up.

I stare in awe at the child in my lap, who is playing with her toys, and I hear a knock on the door. "I'll go get it, Mrs-"

"Natalie!" I interject, some people never learn. She smiles, knowing that it annoys me. Getting off of the bed that we were sitting on, she goes to answer the door. Praying that it's not Michael, the antichrist walks inside of the room. "Hello, Husband," I say giving him a fake smile.

"Hello, Wife!" He says giving me an even bigger smile, walking over to me. Leaning down, he kisses my forehead and Mallory smiles at us. She doesn't know of the incident between Michael and I. "Hello, Child," He says tickling Layna's cheek and she smiles while laughing like a kid maniac. He plays with her for a second and then runs his fingers down my hair, he then walks towards Mallory. "May I speak to you in private?" He asks and my face drops. She looks towards me, asking for permission, and I shake my head.

"No, you may not," I say and he gives me a small smirk. I don't know why he wants to speak with her, but I'm not risking the chances of losing my best baby sitter.

"Why is that, Natalie?" He asks me and I roll my eyes.

"Unless you are planning a surprise party for either Layna or me, then there is no reason for you to talk to her," I say not looking back into his devious eyes.

"I was actually planning on evaluating her for the Sanctuary," He says giving me an evil grin, gross. I don't know what 'evaluate' means in his book, but I don't want to have to kill Mallory just like I did to Mr. Gallant.

"There will be no evaluation for Mallory, she is Layna's caregiver," I say giving him back the same smile. "Speaking of which, I need to speak with you alone," I say smiling to him and he gives me a negative expression. "Mallory, please put Layna to bed, I don't think I will be back until tomorrow morning," I say turning my attention toward Mallory.

"Yes, of course!" She says walking towards me, grabbing the small child out of my hands. I get off of the bed and pat down my crinkled dress, Mallory winks at me. Gross, I'm not doing that. Giving her a weird look, I walk towards Michael. His arm is extended out for me to grab and I gladly accept. We walk out of the room hand in hand and do some sort of 'Couple's Power Walk' as we pass by most of the academy's occupants to our room.

Making it inside, he closes the door and locks it. He turns to me. "So, what did you want to talk about?" He asks me smirking, practically ready to jump out of his clothes. "I heard that it would last until morning," He whispers seductively and I roll my eyes.