Chapter 3: Man With the Wolf Tattoo

Strange dreams still lingered on Aqua's eyelids as she awoke early the next morning. She tried to grasp them as she became conscious of the world around her. As the dreams left her mind, one image did remain, a blue tear-shaped necklace.

     Just the thought of the necklace caused Aqua to bolt upright and look to her left where her nightstand was. Still sitting on top was the sapphire necklace that she had found yesterday while her friends were over. Curiosity tugged at the back of her mind as to the origins of the necklace and where it came from. All she did know was she needed answers and that was what she was going to do today.

     Aqua reluctantly hopped out of bed and proceeded to her bathroom to get ready for the day that awaited her. After finishing putting her hair into a ponytail, Aqua grabbed her necklace and headed downstairs toward the kitchen where she poured a bowl of cereal and checked her phone. While she was eating, a knock came from the door, "Who could that be?" Aqua said aloud and walked swiftly to the door.

      Maudie's bright and always cheery face greeted Aqua at the door. She was dressed in her usual maid outfit, a simple black dress with a white apron; Stota told her she did not need to wear this specific outfit every time she came over, but since she had been a maid in Britain and this was what she was forced to wear, she had insisted. Besides her usual attire, she also had with her a basket, which was filled with some food, in one hand, and trailing a suitcase in the other.

     "Maudie!" Exclaimed Aqua, "It's so great to see you." "Great to see you too love. I see you've grown some since the last time I saw you," said Maudie as she walked inside. Aqua listened to Maudie talk about her recent trip to England, where she was born, as she finished up her breakfast. After she finished talking about her trip, she started asking Aqua questions. "What are you going to do today?"

     "Probably going to do some shopping and study for my finals."

     "But I thought you didn't like shopping?"

     "I'm not a big fan, but I'm not going to shop for clothes."

     "Then what are you going to shop for?"

     Aqua inhaled then exhaled, trying to calm herself. Ever since she can remember, people asking so many questions really got on her nerves and if she did not control herself, she would get mad, so she took up this technique to help herself. "I'm hoping to go jewelry shopping, but not for too long," Aqua replied as she took her last bite of her cereal and proceeded to the kitchen.

     "I can drive you if you'd like," Maudie offered. Aqua rinsed out her bowl in the sink then set it down in the dishwasher as she spoke. "No thanks. I want to get some fresh air, so I'm going to ride my bike."

     "You sure?"

     "Yep," Aqua replied as she headed to the front of the house where they placed their shoes and put them on. She then walked toward the garage as Maudie spoke for the last time, "Well alright. Bye love." "Bye Maudie," said Aqua as she hit the garage door opener and hopped on her bike. As soon as the door was completely up, Aqua raced out of there but waved goodbye which Maudie returned. She patted her pocket to make sure the necklace was still there, thankfully it was, so she sped off in the direction of the nearest jewelry store.

     The closest jewelry shop was about twelve miles away, so it took Aqua about twenty minutes to arrive there. The outside of the store was painted white with some black or dark brown trim, it was kind of hard to tell. Two front windows displayed gorgeous arrays of earrings, watches, necklaces, and bracelets all of which had diamonds or some type of expensive gem that unfortunately, she could afford with her dad's high paycheck. Sometimes Aqua wished she was not so rich, so her dad could be home with her, but she gave up on that idea many years ago.