Chapter 18: Choices

Aqua and Firestar had been walking through the Forbidden Forest for a while. The secret entrance that Firestar only used for emergencies had placed them far from the Guardian Camp, so when they finally arrived they were exhausted.

Once they were hidden in the treetops, Aqua and Firestar sat down in Darkmoon's old house which was now Firestar's house since he took over Darkmoon's position. At first, he had refused to take the house, but seeing there was no other house to take due to the destruction, he had no choice. Before Aqua and Firestar began to talk, a young Guardian entered the room and offered them food and water. Aqua immediately said yes because it was already late afternoon and she had not eaten in almost twenty-four hours. When the wolf pup brought her back some food she thanked him and began to eat.

After Aqua swallowed the last of the food and washed it down with some nice cold water, a blackbird flew through the window and landed on the floor. The bird transformed into its original wolf form, a black wolf with white markings, and tilted its head down in respect towards Firestar and Aqua. "Good to see you again Adolfa," said Firestar addressing the female wolf. "And you Firestar. I have some pressing news. Sinergy found out that BlackHawk was spying on him and has him locked up in the dungeon. He is to be executed in the morning for his treason."

Shock registered on Aqua's face as she heard this news. BlackHawk was to be executed for helping them? This would not happen if she had anything to say about it.

"Thank you Adolfa, Aqua and I will discuss what we should do about this matter," replied Firestar. Without another word, Adolfa left the room leaving her news hanging over their heads like a thick cloud. "Before we discuss what we are going to do, how about you tell me how she knew that?" Aqua pressed. "Adolfa is a scouting Guardian. She has been watching Sinergy's every move after the recent attack and has been giving me her reports on what she has found," Firestar answered.

"It's a good thing she has been watching otherwise we wouldn't know about BlackHawk," said Aqua. Firestar nodded his head in agreement. "Now, how are we going to rescue BlackHawk?" Aqua stated, getting down to business as usual. "Aqua I don't know how to tell you this, but we can't rescue BlackHawk," Firestar said gently. "We don't have the numbers or the knowledge of the Lamada kingdom like Sinergy does. Any attempt would be suicidal." "So that's it," Aqua said, her anger boiling. "You're not even going to try."

"The death of one is better than the death of many."

"Oh, now I understand. Now that you're the Guardian Leader you won't try to help anyone else."

"Now that I'm the Guardians' Leader I must think of my pack, not just myself. We've already lost so much; we can't afford to lose anyone else."

"I thought that being a Guardian meant you protect others not just your pack. Everyone matters, even the small people who don't have a voice, those are the ones who are shouting the loudest. I am going to go rescue him, even if you won't help me," said Aqua getting up from her cushion with tears in her eyes. In one swift motion, Firestar changed from his wolf form into his human form and grabbed Aqua's arm. Aqua turned and locked eyes with Firestar. "Please don't do this. I care about you too much." "If you really cared about me then you'd go with me and help," Aqua replied. Firestar released his grip on Aqua's arm as Aqua headed out the door leaving Firestar with a toxic brew of conflicting emotions running around in his head.

Should he go after her? It was his job to protect her at any cost, but that was before he had become the leader of the Guardians. Firestar decided it was best Aqua went on her own, he could not protect her forever and she was quite capable of doing that herself between her training and her power. This eased Firestar'sconscious a little, but doubt still lingered in the back of his mind. He said a prayer hoping Aqua would return safe and sound with BlackHawk.