Chapter 23: Getting Ready

Darkmoon stepped out of the darkness to reveal his dark features. He looked well except for one very important thing. He was missing his dark blue markings around his eyes meaning he had passed on his high position as leader of the Guardians to someone else.

As soon as Firestar noticed it was Darkmoon, he turned into his original form as a wolf and bounded across the cave to give him a wolf hug, where they each rested their heads on one another's back, a show of love and appreciation for one another.

"I thought you were dead," said Firestar as tears streamed down his face. To Firestar, Darkmoon had been his father since his real one had abandoned him and his mother right when he had found out she was pregnant. "I'm sorry I led you to believe that, but I needed Sinergy to think I was dead, so he wouldn't come after my-our pack." Firestar nodded knowing he did what he did to protect his people.

A small black bird flew in through one of the tiny holes in the cave's ceiling. Before it even touched the floor, the bird turned into a majestic, black, female wolf with a scar over her right eye. Unlike the other Guardians, this wolf had an air of mystery to her, but that mystery would have to wait to be discovered another day. Blaze, as this wolf was more commonly known as, had landed next to Darkmoon. She leaned in and whispered something into Darkmoon's ear, even with Firestar being so close to Darkmoon, he could not make out what she was saying. As soon as she finished Darkmoon nodded his head telling her he understood, and she turned around heading deeper into the cave.

Darkmoon looked at all the expecting faces before he spoke. "I have some news and it isn't good." He paused before continuing. "Aqua has been located in the dungeons of Sinergy's castle. She is severely injured, and Sinergy has decided to execute her...tonight." The cave fell silent for a crowd gathered to listen to what was going on. No one could even breathe. Rage filled Firestar to overflowing. He had barely known Aqua for a few months and really cared about her. She was not going to die tonight, not if he had anything to say about it. "We need to come up with a plan now," said BlackHawk. Firestar was surprised to see that it was BlackHawk who had spoken first, considering he had known Aqua the least amount of time.

"I agree," replied Darkmoon.

"Well we need a layout of the kingdom to see which entrance will be the easiest to enter," said Firestar taking control of the situation. "If someone will get me a piece of parchment and a writing utensil, I can do that," said BlackHawk trying to help in any way possible.

One of the Cadars in the crowd ran to his hut and retrieved a piece of paper and an ink quill which he handed to BlackHawk. BlackHawk thanked the man then left through the crowd to find a smooth place to draw. "I can help with that as well," said Stota and turned to follow BlackHawk. "No," said Firestar stopping Stota. "I need you and Grevis to round up the Cadars and get them ready to fight." Stota and Grevis nodded and began barking orders to their men.

Firestar then turned his attention back to Darkmoon. "Darkmoon I-" before Firestar could say anything else, Darkmoon cut him off. "I've got you covered." And with that Darkmoon gave a mighty howl that echoed off the cave walls. A few hundred Guardians stepped out of the cave's darkness and into the light. Firestar was utterly shocked and at a loss for words. Once the shock subsided and he could speak, the questions started. "How did these many Guardians survive?"

Back at the camp, there were about a hundred or so Guardians that survived Sinergy's attack and some of them could be seen behind Darkmoon's pack. "When I faked my death, I took as many as I could with me and we have been safely hidden here with help from the Cadars where we have regained our strength."

"How did you fake your death? We watched you die right in front of us," asked Firestar needing a larger explanation.

Darkmoon sighed before explaining the story. "When the sounds of the Lamadians grew near I had one of my trusted generals turn into me to keep Sinergy and his men busy so I could help some of the Guardians escape."