Chapter 25: A Distraction

Outside of the Lamada castle, chaos broke loose. Once the Lamadian guards had seen Firestar and Darkmoon inside the throne room, Sinergy had sent squads of his soldiers outside, knowing that if there were two infiltrators in his castle, there were more of them.

     Seeing the wagons still sitting out in the open raised an eyebrow, so the guards proceeded to check it out. Inside of the cart, the Cadars had heard the approaching footsteps of the guards and got into position. As soon as the back door of the cart opened up, all the Cadars charged out, knocking the guard who had peered in, down and stabbing any ones that were near.

     BlackHawk fought by his older brother's side and started to make their way to the castle's entrance, but every time they would gain an inch of ground, more Lamadians would appear and push them farther away. Grevis stabbed a nearby guard and his body hit the ground with a thud. "We need to get inside the castle, but it's too heavily guarded." "Agreed," replied BlackHawk ducking just in time to miss a swipe at his head. Since it was close combat, BlackHawk could not rely on his crossbow to finish the job, so his sword would have to do.

     The guard cried out in pain as BlackHawk's sword found a weak spot in the man's leather armor. The man fell to the floor, his body added to the already growing pile of corpses. BlackHawk looked around seeing Lamadians, Cadars, and Guardians alike all fighting for a cause, though each may be different; it was a cause greater than their own personal agenda.

     Blocking a blow to his abdomen, BlackHawk's sword fell out of his hand and clattered as it hit the cobblestone floor, right behind the Lamadian. Taking a calculated risk, Blackhawk dropped to the floor and rolled through the man's open legs just as he sliced at him, but hit the ground instead. Once on the other side, he snatched his sword up and ran the man through without hesitation. After a second he pulled his sword out, and let the man fall to the ground. Then an idea hit him, "I have a plan, but I'll need a distraction," BlackHawk said as he stabbed the man his brother was struggling with. "Will that do?" Grevis replied pointing at the spectacle before him.

     Looking in the direction he was pointing, BlackHawk's eyes widened and his lips curled into a smile. "That will work."