Chapter 8: Getting Answers

It was a warm summer afternoon in the Forbidden Forest and Aqua was using her powers to freeze the bubbling stream that flowed. Aqua had her hand outstretched above the water and all her thoughts were focused on turning the warm stream to ice. Ever so slowly ice appeared on the water under her hand, then stretched outward like small crystals freezing the small river.

Aqua walked away from the now frozen river over to Firestar and Darkmoon who were leaning against a tree watching her, both in human form. When Aqua had first seen Darkmoon as a human it had come as a shock to her, but now she was used to it. Darkmoon in his human form had black hair that was greying in several places showing that he was in his mid-fifties and was very fit for someone of his age. He wore a black shirt and pants that added to the intensity of the individual-like he needed it-but even though Darkmoon was rough around the edges, Aqua had grown to like him over the past few weeks and was starting to see him as the only real father figure in her life.

"How did I do?" Aqua asked anxiously waiting for their approval. "Nice," said Firestar and gave her an encouraging nod. Aqua turned to Darkmoon who was a very hard individual to read. "You're getting better, but better won't save you if your life is in danger. Now we will work on hand to hand combat. Firestar, you will be Aqua's sparring partner in this next exercise."

Firestar nodded his head and approached Aqua, who had backed away from the small brook for a better place to fight. "Now Aqua defend yourself against him. Right now I will observe your technique then later we will perfect it," said Darkmoon as Aqua balled her fists ready to fight. "And Firestar don't take it easy on her."

Firestar nodded his head and took a swing at Aqua who managed to duck just in time, missing a blow to the head. "Calculate his next move, then strike," Darkmoon said about twenty feet away. Firestar took a step forward and swung at Aqua's face, but she knew he was going to do this and grabbed his arm landing a few punches in his gut. "Good," said Darkmoon circling them, making sure to see every angle. "Take his size into consideration when you fight. He is a lot taller than you, use that to your advantage."

Aqua took a hit to the face, which caused her to stagger, as she tried to go for his legs. Next Aqua tried a different technique and lunged at Firestar, but he ducked at the last second sending her tumbling to the floor. Firestar used Aqua's vulnerability on the ground for him to pin her legs by sitting on them where she could not move them and her arms by holding them firmly against the ground with his left hand. There was nothing Aqua could do at this point; the fight was over rather quickly. And Firestar was its victor. Firestar looked up expectantly at Darkmoon who nodded his head as to say finish the job. Feeling bad about it, but knowing this was how he learned to fight, he started to rain down punches on Aqua's body. She took countless blows to her head, chest, and abdomen, since Firstar could not pin her arms and hit her at the same time, Aqua was free to move them. She tried to block his blows and land some punches of her own, but he moved so fast she could not possibly keep up with him.

"Enough," Darkmoon ordered as Firestar hit Aqua very hard in the jaw causing her to spit out blood.

"Your biggest mistake was throwing all your weight at him, it left you vulnerable for attack," said Darkmoon as Firestar hopped off Aqua and held out his hand to help her up. She took it and tried to get up, but once Firestar released his grip, Aqua tumbled to the floor once again. Angry, frustrated and bloody, Aqua tried for the second time to get up. This time Firestar did not let go and allowed her to lean against him for support.

Aqua glared at Darkmoon as he walked closer, mad he had let the fight go on longer than need be. He was almost a foot taller than she was making her feel a little uneasy with his size, especially since she was very wounded. "Your enemy or whomever you are fighting will not take it easy on you and it is in those moments, when you are weak and tired, that you will find true strength. Not just bodily strength, but the strength that enables you to keep fighting for what you believe in." There was a moment of silence as Aqua realized he had done this for a purpose. Even if she was hurt pretty bad, she did understand. "Also don't forget you have powers, use them to your advantage in a fight." "Okay," was all Aqua could say.