Chapter 4: Not Another School Day

It was finals day at Sun Coast High and the hallways were abuzz with many students. The smart students and the students who cared about their grades were taking their last few minutes to look through their study guides, the rest of the student body either did not care or had already secured that A and were talking to their friends.

Aqua was on her way to her computer programming class when she saw Elizabeth and Serina heading to ceramics class together. "Hey guys," said Aqua greeting her friends. They exchanged hugs as Elizabeth asked Aqua if she was nervous. "Well, I'm not really nervous for any of my classes except for Science because I have a ninety-two percent in that class and I want an A. What about you guys?" "Nope," said Elizabeth and Serina at the same time which made them laugh.

The minute bell rang and the three friends said their goodbyes as they headed off to class. Aqua walked into her computer class and logged into her computer as the last of the boys trailed in. In this class she was the only girl all the rest were boys, most girls would have loved this, but to Aqua it was a challenge especially when it came to partner projects.

As Aqua's computer signed in, her teacher instructed them on what to do for their final. Her teacher told them what website to log in to and how long the test would take. Before starting the test, she asked if anyone had any questions, seeing that no one did, she told them to begin. Aqua was down to the last three questions when one of the boys came back from the drinking fountain that was right outside their classroom door. There was something about the drinking fountain that got her attention, it was like it was calling her and she had to answer. Just as Aqua was about to go get a drink the whole drinking fountain began to rattle and shake, making an awful noise. Then, out of nowhere, it exploded! Hundreds of gallons of water went everywhere, flooding the floor and spraying the walls.

Students and teachers all stopped what they were doing to see the commotion that was happening in the halls. Once they all went to see the water geyser, they were sprayed from head to toe with water. Aqua's Computer Programming teacher raced to the janitor's closet, fighting the blast of the water all the way, to turn off the water that powered the fountain. She turned the water main off to the fountain and the huge geyser stopped flowing.

Seeing that all the excitement was done all the students and teachers headed back to class to resume their finals. With the water turned off the school's janitors came in with a bunch of towels, followed by other teachers and staff members who were currently not busy, to help clean up the remaining water. As Aqua headed back to her classroom with the rest of her fellow students, she asked her teacher a question. "Has anything like this ever happened before?" "No, not even close. It is very odd what happened, but it could have just been a burst of water pressure," replied her teacher. "Ya I guess so," Aqua said and headed back to her seat to finish up her last few questions on her final. She knew by the tone of her teacher's voice that what she had said was not true, but Aqua was not one to question authority.

At 8:50 the bell rang to change classes, Aqua walked down the hallways fighting against the flow of traffic to get to her next class, which was Science, with Mr. Days. When Aqua first started his class, she did not like Science, but now she did and looked forward to this class every day. She had experienced things in Mr. Days class that other people would envy, like halfway through the year she had to do a big project on Mars with a few other students. Her group and a few others were one of the selected few who did such an exceptional job on their project that they were invited to go down to a college to present in front of NASA professors.

When Aqua entered the classroom, she said hi to her friend Elizabeth and asked her if she had heard what went on with the water fountain. "Yes I did, don't you think it's strange," Elisabeth replied. "Very odd, but my Computer Programming teacher said it could have just been a sudden increase in water pressure," Aqua said as she headed to her seat and sat down. "Maybe," Elisabeth said just as the class began to quiet down.