The Banquet

He gets closer, foot by foot, and when it's just in touching distance, he reaches out to grab the star.

But he misses it, leaving the final star hanging from the outback canopy.

*****

Emma P.O.V

"Hey everyone."

Myself, James and John walk back into camp with the bittersweet news.

"Oh! You're back!" Noel smiles. "How was your day?"

"Well, we were going to build up and make it an announcement about how many stars we had, until we actually got them." James shrugs. "So... we got 10 stars."

Sair gasps. "That's incredible guys!" She comes and hugs me. "And I've been so hungry too!"

Time is knocking on a bit now, with the sun beginning to set over the horizon; the sky is a navy blue with silver stars.

"So... now we have to decide who isn't going to the feast." Fleur shrugs. "I mean I don't mind-,"

"No!" John interrupts. He holds his hands up. "I missed the flag, so I'll stay in camp."

"That's not fair!" Nick disagrees.

"Yeah, you went and won the stars for us. All three of you are going," Anne finalises.

When she's serious, her real Governess side comes out and oh my gosh isn't it fierce.

"So, who stays?"

"Me. I'm camp leader, and I haven't been doing anything over the past day or two because of that. I shouldn't be rewarded."

"Nick," I try to convince him otherwise, but he seems to be adamant on it. "Are you sure?"

"100%. Besides, I've been trying a new recipe with the beans. I'll try it out tonight."

Is it worrying that I have a bit of a crush on Nick Knowles, and he's old enough to be my dad?

At the feast ...

"Oh my god!"

I walk hand in hand with Sair to the banquet that we've all earned the right to - it's just a shame that Nick couldn't join us all.

Laid in cloches across the table are tonnes of food, from: scrumptious cheese boards, a ginormous stake, an extravaganza of vegetables, all the meat in the world, cake, chocolate, fruit and party foods.

We all sit around the table. I share one side of the table with my lovely girls, Emily, Fleur, Sair and Anne.

John is the one to reveal a cloche full of turkey slices.

"Dig in!"

We must eat for hours and hours. I know you're supposed to wean yourself back into the routine slowly and steadily, taking care of your stomach.

I don't.

"Oh my god, I'm gonna be sick!" Malique grunts, standing and walking to the bushes.

Malique has also been shoving food down his throat; maybe I should back off a little bit before I end up being sick too.

"So much for being lady-like!" I laugh at the barbecue sauce on the collar of my top. "I've been defeated!"

I must have eaten 30% of everything on the table.

After a while, everyone is stuffed. We couldn't beat the meal, but we gave it a good go.