The Final Trial

"James!"

"Sophie!"

I swing my little sister around, hugging her with all my strength. "God I missed you."

*****

Emma P.O.V

"You ok, Em?"

The tears have started to dry now. James leaving camp this morning was a big shock to us all - my boyfriend was my rock in here. "I'm fine. A shower did me good." I comment, tying my hair up.

I sit beside the fire, feeling its heat irradiate onto my skin. "We have one day left. We just have to enjoy it."

"I think today will be hard." Fleur picks at a chipped nail. "It's the final day. Whatever they have in store for us, it's going to be difficult."

As if the Lords heard us, John trots into camp at the same very moment. "It's starting, guys." He waves the laminate. "Celebrities. Today, you will all take part in your very own trial in the chance of winning yourself a luxury final meal tonight. Fleur, you will go first, Emma, you will go second and John will go third. Fleur, please get ready to leave camp."

My muscles tense and shoot acid through my arteries. "What do you think it is?"

"Whatever it is," Fleur grabs her bag. "It's going to be our biggest fears."

John and I hug Fleur and walk her to the drawbridge. "Enjoy your final trial," I whisper to her. "You'll smash it."

A little while later...

I haven't been able to sit still this morning; I've cooked up some spare rations that we have lying around so John and I can have some extra energy, meditated in the treehouse, and emptied the dunny. Now there is less of us, we don't have to do it as often, but it's still god awful when we do.

"Were you a Destiny's Child fan?" John asks me whilst I attempt to hula hoop a branch we make into a circle.

"Independent woman was my jam." I nod. "I mean,"

"Hey, guys!"

I turn from John to see Fleur plodding back down the tramped down leaves and branches. "I did it!" She smiles. "I got all the stars!"

"Well done babe," I hug her tightly - there's a musky smell of cockroaches and crickets that lingers in her hair and clothes. "Was it bad?"

"The worst one yet." She winces. "But I know you'll smash yours, Emma. It's your time to shine."

I run up to my hammock, grab my water bottle from the floor and fill it up from the green waterbag hanging from a tree branch. "Wish me luck, guys!"

"Good luck hun," John rubs my back. "Bring back the bacon!"

I trample through bushes, brambles and over twigs and through muddy crevices to the overhanging bridge. This is the bridge I scaled many of times to my terrible trials, but also to meet my sister. The trials have been God awful, but I wouldn't change any of my jungle experience.

I clamber over the bridge, feeling the rope feed through my fingers and the structure wobble under my feet.

"Hello," Holly grins when I step into the trial clearing. "Come and take a seat."

As soon as I spot the table and chair, and only a table and chair, I know exactly what I'm facing. "Welcome to your final Bushtucker Trial."

"Thank you," I place down my water bottle. "I have a bad feeling about this."