Chapter 3

Eunjae approached her humble home's door, noticing through the window that there was a faint flickering of a candle. She raised her fist, knocking twice, then once, then twice again. Almost immediately, Eunjae could hear the clink of her door being unlocked before it was thrown open, revealing her gleaming younger brother.

"Hey, Sungjae, how were your lessons today?" Eunjae asked as she closed the door behind her.

"Good. I made a new friend today!" He exclaimed.

Eunjae smiled. "That's wonderful, buddy! What's his name?"

"Her name is Kim Naeun." Sungjae stated proudly.

Eunjae parted her lips in shock. "Kang Sungjae. You mean to tell me your new friend is a girl?"

"Yes, are you mad?" Her little brother faltered in his answer.

"Of course not. I simply hope she can handle you and keep you well-mannered, is all." Eunjae replied jokingly to bring up Sungjae's mood.

"Hey!"

Eunjae laughed as she walked into their kitchen, followed by her brother. It was small, and sectioned off by a curtain into their mother's 'bedroom'. The Kang family household had one floor, with one wall sectioning off the main room and the kitchen area. The main room had a couch, where Sungjae slept as Eunjae would take the floor, and that was about it.

"Have you eaten yet?" Eunjae wondered, noticing the lack of dishes out on the table.

"No." Her brother replied softly.

She sighed. "Sungjae, I told you you shouldn't wait for my return to eat. Just go ahead."

"That's not it..." He quietly murmured.

Eunjae's forehead creased at his reply. Then, she realized: they had no food. She searched the several cupboards they had and found only a rotted banana.

"It's okay, noona, I can wait until tomorrow." Sungjae said as he noticed his sister's flustered state.

"Absolutely not." Eunjae obstinately stated. She felt many emotions run through her; shame and regret were among them. It was her responsibility to provide for her family, whether it be safety or provisions. The least she could accomplish is feeding her brother, who was but a young child, each day. She had to correct this immediately. "I'm going out, keep an eye on everything. I'll be back before you know it."

Sungjae nodded, his head bent downwards. Eunjae crouched down and pulled him into a hug. "Hey, don't worry. I'm going to be fine, your noona can take care of herself."

After her brother was properly consoled, Eunjae tossed on her cloak and determinedly hurried out of the house.

=*=

Jimin heaved a bored sigh as he began his slow trudge back to where he'd tethered his horse. It had been another tiring day of lessons and training, followed by a rather uneventful night on the town. Jimin was losing interest in his almost nightly conquests, no longer finding the same thrill he once had when sneaking out of the castle.

Jimin used to vary which part of the kingdom he would visit, but ever since that night a year ago, he'd become intrigued by the thought of a woman being able to pull off heists for so long. He'd find himself in the same village most nights, hoping to stumble into the enigma of a woman. When that inevitably failed, he'd attempt to add a spark to his night by bedding women he'd cross paths with.

That, too, got old quite quickly, and bore no genuine entertainment.

So, Jimin continued his path towards his steed, not looking forward to returning to the castle for another day of the same routine. He pulled back his hood, fixing his messed up hair as he walked. As he neared the edge of the town where he'd stationed his horse, he noticed a cloaked figure rummaging through the satchels hung from his saddle. He quietly tip-toed forward, not wanting to alert the individual of his presence.