Chapter 31

The events of the following day seemed to pass in a swift blur as the castle geared up for the ball. It was late in the evening now, Eunjae and Chaeyoung striding side by side with interlocked arms as always as they headed towards their shared room. They'd spent the majority of the day finishing some preparations for the ball, mainly aspects like decor, and they were just now returning from dropping off a suit Chaeyoung had tailored for Jungkook.

Despite all the work she endured today, Eunjae's mind had been incessantly distracted by one thing. Park Jimin, the blasted prince who slowly but surely had creeped his way into Eunjae's heart. The prince who'd utterly vexed the daylights out of Eunjae at first, only to become one of the dearest people the girl had come to be fond of.

Also, the prince she had not seen in several days.

She wasn't sure if he was actively avoiding her or if it was just a matter of conflicting schedules or circumstances, but Eunjae felt that her days seemed a tad emptier, a bit more bleak, without the dashing man's presence.

No matter. She would surely see him tomorrow, and she would be sure to make her impression. Eunjae's lips curled into a satisfied, mischievous simper as she envisioned how Jimin might react. Stunned, of course. Gobsmacked, undoubtedly. Entranced? Enough to whisk her away and forget societal, or familial, constrictions? She hoped.

Her main goal, however, was merely to ensure that it would be as he'd claimed; no matter who he would dance or converse with, no matter who gallanted about him, Eunjae would be the sole occupant of his thoughts.

As Eunjae and Chaeyoung strolled by the familiar french doors that led out into the garden, flanked by two burly men, Eunjae made an acute observation. She wasn't sure if she was simply being overly skeptical or apprehensive, but after having had to remain constantly aware and alert of her surroundings for some time before her time at the castle, it was a trait that'd become ingrained within her; a beneficial habit.

Leaning her lips imperceptibly closer to Chaeyoung's ear, Eunjae whispered, "Have you noticed anything off about the guards by the garden at all?"

Chaeyoung's eyebrows scrunched slightly as she tried not to outwardly gape at the individuals too obviously. Expecting to find two familiar faces, Chaeyoung was stumped at the sight of two complete strangers. The scruffy men appeared bored, staring off in different directions inattentively. She'd never seen the likes of them before this week, and she frequented about the majority of the castle quite often. She would know.

"Now that you mention it, I haven't seen Youngjae or Jinyoung in the last couple days." Chaeyoung perceived lowly, raking through her memory. Eunjae had never bothered to learn the names of the two men that typically guarded the particular exit, but she'd had an inkling that something seemed off. Chaeyoung continued as the two entered a new corridor, "As far as I can remember, they've been positioned there every afternoon and evening for the past 3 years..."

Eunjae's lips pursed as she tried to speculate what this discovery could mean. As her and her friend continued down the rather dim hall, she made another astute observation. "And I feel as though there have been less guards overall in the castle, have you noticed that?"

Chaeyoung's head whipped around to trace from where they'd already passed to ahead of them in the hall, noticing only one man stationed at the cornered junction of two hallways. Besides that, and the presence of the two young maidens passing through, the corridor was essentially vacant. With a more distressed expression, Chaeyoung uttered, "How have I failed to notice this?"