Chapter 32

It was a brilliant autumn morning as Eunjae strolled deeper into the castle gardens. Though a brisk breeze painted her cheeks cherry and bit at the dainty flesh of her unprotected ankles, Eunjae basked in the brief relief the warmth of the sun rays provided, a content smile donning her face. It'd been quite some time since she'd simply sat outside and savored some crisp, fresh air. With the impending ball only a handful of hours away, Eunjae decided to enjoy some final tranquility before stepping into what she forebodingly expected would be an eventful night.

Eventually Eunjae arrived at her preferred spot, the central willow tree having shed most of its leaves by now, creating a bed of crumpled russet and fading crimson around its perimeter. Thankfully, the circle of hedges remained mainly intact, voluminous enough that they'd still obscure her figure from any prying eyes; Eunjae presumed they must have been a type of perennial plant.

Eunjae slowly eased her bottom onto a short granite bench as the frigid surface chilled her entire body. She clasped her hands together, futilely puffing hot air at her reddening fingers. The girl let out a relaxed breath as she shut her eyes, appreciating the stillness of her surroundings. She just breathed for a moment.

Feelings of excitement and anticipation had been steadily growing within Eunjae ever since she'd accepted Jennie's invitation. She looked forward to spending an evening galavanting with her friends, yes, but she was more itching for the moment she would catch Jimin's eye. Eunjae could imagine how his expression might shift from incredulity, to astonishment, to, she hoped, desire. An amorous yearning rushed through her at the thought of his dark eyes accompanying a sultry expression, his jaw set in a seductive fashion.

Eunjae let out a sizable exhale as her increasingly provocative thoughts were disrupted by memories of the previous night. Her and Chaeyoung had followed Hoseok's directions, and after fretting between themselves for another hour in their room, they finally succumbed to their overwhelming fatigue. Eunjae had found herself contemplating the occurrence since the moment she woke this morning, unsettled at the timing of it all when she factored in the details of the guards. She could sense something was brewing; an unexplainable ominous intuition she carried within her. Eunjae decided that at the first sight of Jungkook later in the evening, she would apprise him of her recent observations and suspicions.

"You look like you've got plenty on your mind." A velvet voice spoke up from behind Eunjae, briefly startling her. An involuntary grin began to grace the woman's lips as Jimin approached her form on the bench, his dazzling smile shining against the sunlight. He gently lifted Eunjae's hand to his lips, his hot breath warming her frigid skin as he murmured, "A penny for your thoughts, fair maiden?"

Eunjae giggled at Jimin's cheeky, cliché entrance, finding him entirely charming. Warmth spread throughout her chest as she admired his stunning features. She was genuinely happy to see him. "You're the crowned prince and all you can spare is a penny? I feel cheated." Eunjae teasingly pouted.

Jimin's dulcet chuckles resonated in her ears as he joined Eunjae on the bench. His side flush with hers, Eunjae rejoiced in the comfortable warmth he emanated. He gazed at Eunjae through his eyelashes as he wittily responded, "Allow me to rectify. To put a price to the contents of such a coveted mind would be a transgression unlike any other."

"Please, you're flattering me." Eunjae playfully gushed. "What brings you out here?"

Jimin's arm extended behind Eunjae so that his palm rested flat on the bench surface by Eunjae's bottom, his limb brushing against the girl's back and sending a titillating rush through her. As he leaned his weight onto his arm, he tucked his chin to gaze down at her so that his face hovered just above hers. Through a clever smile, Jimin regaled, "Well, I was headed to a meeting with my advisor, Namjoon, when I spotted a lovely lass headed outside. I thought to myself 'a shame it would be to leave such divinity unaccompanied' when I had a few minutes to spare, and lo-and-behold, here I am."