Chapter 24

"So where exactly are we headed?" Eunjae laboredly huffed through her exhaustion.

Eunjae had cleverly recommended that they retrieve Jungkook's horse for their journey, rather than carrying him on foot the entire way. Her and Lisa had managed to carry Jungkook's limp—and notably heavy—form a substantial distance on their own before they reached the stables, only crossing paths with a handful of strangers who merely shot them baffled looks before carrying on their business. Lucky for the two girls, no one in their town seemed to care about affairs other than their own, especially not ones affiliated with the royal family.

Lisa had taken reign of the horse, since she was the only one that could navigate them to their undisclosed destination. Since Jungkook was unable to support himself atop the steed, the pair had strategically positioned him between them; Lisa was at the front of the horse, while Jungkook's back was flush with Eunjae's frontside, his head hanging loosely to the side at an uncomfortable angle. Eunjae ensured she had a tight hold on him so that he wouldn't fall, but she found it was a more tiring task than she had initially presumed.

Lisa turned her head to the side so her voice could project back to Eunjae as she responded, "Nowhere you're familiar with. It'll be easier to explain once we're there and you've met everyone."

Eunjae's eyebrows furrowed as she repeated to herself, "'Everyone'?" She shrugged her wariness off since she had full faith in her best friend.

Eventually the odd trio found themselves on a dirt path that led up to a secluded, rather dull-looking building. Eunjae regarded their surroundings with puzzlement, as she had never ventured to this area before. It was on the far outskirts of their village, the building's only company being the expanse of trees that enclosed the land. Eunjae found herself even more perplexed as Lisa galloped them past the front entrance, around the corner, straight to the back of the place.

Lisa stopped the horse by a wooden post and carefully slid off, quickly hitching the horse to it so it wouldn't wander off. Then, her and Eunjae worked together to lift Jungkook off the steed before gently laying him on the ground.

"Jesus, Lis, how hard did you hit him for him to have not woken up by now." Eunjae remarked with concern. The young guard had stirred slightly to signal that he was at least alive, which comforted Eunjae, but he had yet to open his eyes.

Lisa grit her teeth anxiously before shrugging lightly, taking a few steps away from Eunjae and Jungkook towards the back of the building. Eunjae wasn't sure what to make of the place; she couldn't tell whether it served as a home or had another purpose, but the bulkhead doors leading to an underground portion of the building threw her off. Lisa answered, "It was a fairly new staff... But he'll be fine! My friend is a trained medical professional."

Eunjae observed with intrigue as Lisa flipped a hatch in the wall of the building to reveal a string, delivering two strong tugs to it before fastening the hatch shut. Not a minute later, Eunjae gaped as the rusted doors of the bulkhead entrance creaked open as a stunning man came out to meet them. He had a good build with broad shoulders and impressive height, and after glancing at Jungkook's still form by Eunjae, he sauntered over to Lisa with a teasing smirk.

"What did you do this time, Lisa?"

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Save it, Jin. Can you please just carry him inside for us?"

The new man's—Jin's—shoulders bounced through his laughter as he nodded in compliance, heading towards Eunjae and Jungkook. The girl bowed as he approached them.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Eunjae." She greeted timidly.

Jin smiled down at her warmly. "Lisa has told us so much about you, it's nice to finally put a face to the name. I'm Kim Seokjin." He quickly crouched down to hook his arm around Jungkook's torso before effortlessly hanging the lad over his shoulder. Eunjae was impressed by the man's strength.