(21) lise

Surprise

"Is that...?" My father trailed off, apparently noticing the boy also. Giving him a grimace, I expected him to ignore the boy. But instead, my father stood up. And he did something Harrison Graham never does. He called out to him.

"Clark, my boy!"

Clark Ellington was in New York. Right now. It was like god made a game of how many times can Blake bump into Clark. Even if he was on a business trip, I wouldn't have expected it to be in New York. London, yes. But not here.

"Mr. Graham, long time no see." Clark's eyes widened at my father. He had walked over to the patio, and was now standing in front of our table.

"You certainly look different son. Life treating you well?"

"Yes sir, I can't complain." He gave my dad a tight smile. He could complain for hours. We had done just that last week after we had dinner together.

"That's great. What are you up to?"

"Currently or right now?"

"Both."

"Well I currently am attending school at Cambridge."

"Oh? Blakely didn't inform me of this." He shot me a look. I gave both of them a tight smile, taking a gulp of my drink, "Didn't come up in conversation."

"Right now I just got back from a meeting with some business partner of my father."

"Starting you young also I see? I'm doing the same with Blakely, getting her ready to take over the business. Say, why don't you join us if you're not busy?"

Choking on my food, I shot my father a look. Then I shot Clark a look. He immediately responded. "Oh no sir, I'm fine I don't want to intrude."

Wrong thing to say. "Nonsense!" And with a wave of his hand a chair was set down along with a napkin and plate. Harrison Graham was a perfect people person when it came to anyone not family.

I kicked Clark's leg twice under the table. One for not telling my dad he was busy and two for not telling me he was going to New York the exact same time as me. That was why he was asking about it last week. After shooting me a confused look, the conversation began once again.

After some idle talk between my father and Clark, mostly about how much Clark has grown from being a tiny twelve year old to what he is now, Clark cleared his throat. "Can I be excused to go to the washroom real quick?" And with that he left.

"Blakely, I decided who you will escort you." He started, glancing at the empty chair with a smile.

Nononononononono.

"Clark is perfect, I almost forgot about how you two were childhood friends." Not even close.

"But dad-"