Chapter 2: Knowledge

You had been with Tom for nearly twenty minutes and you already wished to escape him. This guy was self centered, hypocritical and an ace when it came down to comebacks, his knowledge in magic was indeed impressive and he really liked to show it off. You had been extremely patient with him and always acted calmly or as if you didn't care about his attitude. But in all honesty, you wanted to slap some humility to this guy.

"Listen, how about we stop for today? Surely you have more important things to do anyway." You proposed in a calm tone, Tom looked at you for a moment trying to understand your motive for wanting to leave. 

"Very well, tommorow we will continue here, same time." He replied and you nodded.

"Well then, have a nice day Tom." You responded politely as you stood up, as you were about to turn however you saw Jenny looking at you, she was crying and looked horrible... someone was bulling her again. You run to her side and hugged her as she cried silently in your arms, Tom was looking at the you both with little interest. 

"It was them again... those Slytherin boys." She confessed between her low sobs.

"Honestly, they call themselves nobles but they're acting like the lowest of the low. They deserve a thousand hexes for their arrogance."

"It's because I'm a muggleborn." She mumbled and you looked at her clearly upset. You let go, before grabbing her face, you stared into her eyes seriously and spoke in a firm yet somehow gentle tone.

"So what? William is a muggleborn too and he really enjoys showing it off, so should you."

"Yes but... you are from a noble family."

"Only in title, we don't have a lot of money like those snobs, besides my parents don't care about blood purity. Even if they did though, I'd still be your friend."

"Why?"

"Because you're unique... everyone here has their own special traits. Even those bullies, as much as I hate to admit it." You explained and she smiled.

"Thanks (Name)... Xavier said we should celebrate Christmas together at his place, what do you think? Jenny asked and you smiled, Jenny might had been unware of it but you weren't, Xavier had a huge crush on Jenny... despite being a Slytherin he cared not if it was disgracefull to love a muggleborn or if she was a Hufflepuff. 

Jenny had been kind to him and present whenever he needed support, there was a time when she would purposely go to his home during vacation to make sure he didn't get lonely, his parents worked in the ministry of magic and so they were many hours away due to work. That made Xavier grow fond of her and before he knew it he was getting nervous around her. It was plain as day that he had feelings for her, however Jenny was the type to fall for the popular type.

"I see no reason for us not to go." You agreed as you exited, without really noticing Tom staring at you, something about the words you said had a small impact on him... he was happy to know that you were of noble birth but he also seemed interested in your view on people. 

"Maybe she isn't as wortheless as I originally thought." He mused, his mind coming up with a little experiment. If you passed his little test... you could be a valuable ally... or maybe more. 

 Meanwhile William and Daniel had just finished training and upon hearing what happened they confronted those bullies, beated the living hell out of them and even hexed them. Though they got in trouble they weren't sorry at all, in fact they were proud and acted as if the detention they received was a trophy rather than a punishment.

"You people are insane." You commented before the two of them left for detention. Jenny and Xavier decided to go and study in the library while you headed back to your dorm. When you solved the riddle that was demanded in order to enter you discovered that someone else was also here... and he certainly didn't belong in Ravenclaw. You heard someone clear their voice and looked back, you stood still upon seeing Tom Riddle sitting on a chair and looking at you calmly.

"Hello again, (Name)." He greeted with his usual tone, though you spotted a glint of mischief in his eyes.

"What buisness could a noble Slytherin have here? Aside from Quetzalcoatl I know no other snake that can fly like an eagle or a raven." You mused and he smirked.

"You sure are more open when being in a ground that favors you."

"Is it not natural? If you met me in the Slytherin dormitory, surely you'd act differently too. So tell me, what is it that you want here?"

"I would like you to solve a small riddle, to test you."

"Test me? For what?"

"You don't need to know right now, are you up for the test?" He asked in a daring manner, however you weren't going to fall into his trap so easily.

"I really don't like playing by someone else's rules, so no I wont take your test." You replied and he seemed suprised by your answer.

"Well, I admit you suprised me but... this riddle might help you. Trust me, I wouldn't be so eager to share anything with just anybody."

"Trust me, I hold no interest in anything you wish to share with me. I can already tell you're playing with fire... and it's wise not to drag someone who has a bucket of water nearby if you want to keep on playing." You advised and Tom smiled, it wasn't just a smile though... it was as if he was approving you but it held a darkness you wanted to stay away from.

"You have indeed a lot of potential as I thought when I got here and looked around."

"And what makes you think that?" You asked and he smiled, bringing out a fancy notebook with a metal buttefly in the middle whose wings were light blue with purple, this was your very own diary and journal.

"I admit it's a pretty cover but what made me interested in it is the fact that you wrote everything in different languages. German, French, Polish, Hebrew, Latin and even Persian." He mumbled and you frowned. You never imagined he held interest in the human world but here he was, knowing quite a few things about muggles. And the fact that he knew you had written pages in different languages, mostly to confuse people who tried to read it, was alerting.

"So what?"

"It's proof of your thirst for knowledge, my dear. Something that apparently the two of us have in common." 

"That means nothing to me. Leave before I decide to tell that you sneaked in here." You scoffed and Tom chuckled.

"You will see me in here again, I have decided to gain knowledge on you... and I plan on learning everything regarding the subject." He purred, his face nearing yours, you brought your wand out and placed its end to his throat gently.

"Out." You growled and Tom smiled before leaving you alone with your thoughts... it was then that you realized that he had taken your diary with him.