02. SEA SPRAY

SEA
SPRAY

RAESUN WAS ALWAYS one to look on the bright side of things; she cried as she sat on the beach, the sun kissed sand delicately gracing her skin and rays caressing her face. pearls of despair fell down upon her cheeks, a brewing storm on the brink of her pained eyes — life didn't feel at all right in that moment, and perhaps all she needed was reassurance.

but there was no one to give her such a gift.

she remembered days of her childhood that drowned in pouring sunshine and innocence, where she thought the world was wonderful, vibrant with colours of hope and things to discover. but then she grew up, and was instead drenched with disappointment and crushing expectations. raesun once thought life was beautiful, but then realised that beauty can be a damn good mask to hide sins.

"i always think that pretty girls look just as pretty when they're crying."

raesun whipped around, to find the stranger she encountered in art class — he sat down next to her on the sand, shoes in hand and the last of a cigarette in the other. she tucked wisps of ink curls behind her ears, rushing to wipe away her tears; he only chuckled at that.

"what's got such a pretty girl in tears, huh?" he smirked, taking drags of the white stick between his rough fingers.

her mouth gaped open, words teasing her teeth but not fleeing despite her mouth beckoning them forward. she was awestruck, his scent of acrylic and smoke blending with the ocean's salty touch in her senses. sea spray spat at her ankles, smoke from his cigarette swirling on the sandy carpet below her — she hated how he could make such an awful addiction look attractive.

"have you always been so shy?" he gave a breathy laugh, finishing his cigarette and flicking it somewhere beyond where he sat.

raesun simply blushed, feeling not only the summer's heat blooming in the gardens of her cheeks but also her own embarrassment — she wasn't shy, just wary. he looked dangerous, those warnings that were once whispers in his aura now shouts of desperation for her to escape; she couldn't. maybe, just maybe, she didn't want to.

the stranger stared at her, taking in every inch of her dainty face to the novel at her feet. he picked up the tattered book, thumb flicking through the cream pages, "you didn't come here to cry then, i'm guessing?"

she cautiously dragged her flustered gaze from the shimmering waters to the waves of confusion in his eyes. coffee springs were held in those irises, mystery and mischief laden with wonder. raesun learned how to read people a long time ago, and she knew that there was more to this boy than cigarettes and acrylic paint.

"i... no. no, i didn't," she nodded, taking the book from his hold. peering down at the cover, she trailed a finger over the lettering, trying to take her mind off his hard gaze.

"reading is known to calm the mind. take them to a new place, where they can escape their problems and figure out a fictional character's. so, from that, i'm gonna guess that reading didn't quite take you to another place," he raised a brow, confidence taking over the inquisitive tone he once had.

"what's your name?" she rushed to say, fiddling with the corner of a page.

his laugh, loud and unexpected, broke through the tense atmosphere. raesun giggled along awkwardly, the sea spray now hitting her shins and sun embracing her rosy face. he continued to laugh as she just... watched. his nose crinkled, his petal lips opened into a full grin — she couldn't but think that he was in fact pretty too.

because boys can be pretty, right?

eventually, he stopped laughing, a flush of colour to his cheeks and sultry voice turned casual, "how do you not know me? plenty people do, especially the ladies."

she shrugged, "i don't really pay attention to boys. too busy... crying, i guess," at that, she felt her heart beat a harsher pink tone at the softening of his gaze. someone actually caring was rare for raesun.

"pretty girls shouldn't cry. they should smile, and realise that they are well and truly beautiful."