14. KILLER CARESS

KILLER
CARESS

                           THE VIOLET PIGMENT across her cheek was dulled by her makeup, the feel of it itching and her skin and begging for her nails to rid of it. but she tried her hardest to ignore it as she read her book, sitting on the porch shaded from the light. the lawn was bathed in dying sun rays, roses swaying in the slight breeze while she felt as cool as a frozen pop — she felt surprisingly calm after her parents had left.

they went to get champagne, as if their daughter had magically been 'fixed' and wouldn't dare to defy them again. well, that was two hours ago, and they were yet to come back.

so she sat there, an unknown pop song playing quietly on her radio. she grabbed a peach from the bowl beside her, eyes lifting momentarily to fix on a stumbling figure in the distance. their feet, cladded in black doc martens and half laced, shuffled down the sidewalk as their hand lazily grasped a bottle of whiskey.

she wouldn't pay mind to them, if it wasn't for the dove tattoo peaking out from under their shirt sleeve or the beautiful caramel colour of their hair.

"jeongguk," she whispered, and immediately dropped everything, ignoring the sound of crumpled book pages and a possible bruised peach, shoe–less feet bounding down her pathway to the street.

he saw her and automatically smiled, staggering backwards when she launched herself onto him.

"i'm so sorry! sorry i'm so stupid, and naive, and selfish! sorry, m' so sorry, sorry!" she mumbled into his shoulder, hands frantically rubbing at his back as he simply chuckled.

the stench of alcohol and marijuana filled her senses, alarm signals going off amongst other havoc in her brain — he was out of it. bloodshot eyes with wide irises, galaxies of euphoria open to the world as he peered down at her, a universe so dark and mysterious yet so full of happiness, that she couldn't help but melt into a pathetic mess in his surprisingly tight hold.

"s'okay baby," he patted her inky curls, rummaging his other hand in the strands and grinning, "no more tears," a finger of his tapped her nose at the sight of her watering orbs, the hazel pigment dancing with a sudden guilt.

"b–but i'm so sorry," she whimpered, feeling even smaller as he just laughed again, clutching her to his broad chest. in a state of complete distress, now sobbing and shaking, he snapped out of his daze.

"not... your fault," his whisper soothed her, along with his hand stroking to calm the tangled mess it had become, "mine. my fault."

raesun frowned against his racing heartbeat, lifting her face, "what do you mean? i was the one acting so... weird."

"when... what's his name?... jin! that's it, jin," a child–like grin took place upon his whiskey–slick lips again, "when he caught us outside the uh, the garage, i got all cold. remember? i was kinda... mean."

she remembered.

it wasn't bad. he could've done a lot worse, but she was sensitive to this new scene of tattoos, drinking, and reckless decisions. she didn't expect him to act like that, and to quite honest, she had kind of forgotten.

jeongguk continued anyway, despite her lack of response, "i'm scared, rae. i'm so scared of... of hurting you," he cupped her jaw, searching her eyes with a drunk gaze lathered in wonder.

her mouth, dry and gawping open, made it difficult for her to even let the words of forgiveness slip past. she dropped the stare, making out the faint sight of his tattoos being seen from under his white t–shirt, noticing the whiskey had dripped onto the thin material.

"m' sorry too," he mumbled.

little did raesun know, he was apologising for a whole lot more to come.