33. UNTOLD TRUTH

UNTOLD
TRUTH

FLASHBACK

                            THE DAY FOR her brother to leave for college had finally came. maids scuttled around the house as his belongings were packed into sturdy cardboard boxes, their parents shouting and demanding things to be neat and swift — just like they always did. raesun hugged herself as she stood in her brother's doorway, pressing the soft cuff of her cardigan to her bitten lips and frowning at namjoon.

he didn't seem happy to leave for college; in fact, he looked the saddest she had seen him for a long long time.

"do you have to go?" meekly, she had whispered. the maids had all rushed downstairs to place his boxes into the car waiting for him outside.

namjoon, flushed with a faint peach pigment to his dimpled cheeks, sighed. he shook his head while he packed the last of his boxes, carelessly throwing trophies and lingering his fingers on photo frames, "i do, sunny. i really do."

perhaps he didn't even want to go. well, maybe he did want to go to college, but probably not the most prestige business school in the country, all those towns and cities and fields away. it wasn't fair on either of the siblings.

"i don't want you to. i don't want to be on my own," she whispered, feet shuffling on the floor that seemed to pull her in every aching second, "please stay."

"i..." he froze at that, hands gripping a little black diary. his eyes said it all, some sort of desperation to escape but something (or maybe someone) was holding him back, "i can't. i don't belong here anymore... it's time to move on. to grow up. to have some sort of life out there."

"but—"

"namjoon! the car's waiting, hurry up... honey!" of course, her mother: throwing around those pet names as if she really cared for him.

the two sighed, raesun's eyes trying not to meet her older brother's in fear the adults downstairs would hear her cry. sniffling, she let her arms drop to her sides, "visit as soon as you can, okay? i–i'll take you out for dinner, or the movies, or even a walk around the art museum, you like a–art museums right—?"

"i'll see you again before you know it, sunny, okay?" a pathetic smile laid on his face to cover up his glassy eyes, wrapping his arms around his sister in goodbye, "be strong. you'll meet good people eventually."

he never did take that box. and he never came to see her.

short i know, but the upcoming chapters will make up for it (;