16. LIPGLOSS FIASCO

LIPGLOSS
FIASCO

                           TAEHYUNG WENT HOME soon after their visit to the school nurse, raesun being sent off to her lessons straight afterwards: silly really, considering she couldn't even concentrate without letting the honey tattooed boy slip into her thoughts. she remembered the sound of fist against skin, the colour of the other's blood on his ivory knuckles, some kind of strange victorious shine to his saddened eyes.

when school ended, raesun didn't know whether to be relieved or scared: she'd have to face either her parents or jeongguk — she wasn't prepared in the slightest.

as soon as the bell rang, she slipped past other rushing pupils as fast as she could possibly go in her shoes, hand gripping her bag protectively and sweat dancing across her brow. raesun knew she was possibly being rude by not wanting to see jeongguk, but knew she could avoid her parents a lot easier; they didn't scare her as much as he did.

but, of course, fate wasn't on her side.

she was walking down the sidewalk, limbs fatigued and hair in a messy bun in an attempt to prevent the heat. pulling her lipgloss out her pocket, the foam applicator had barely touched her lip when she heard the deep call of her name from behind — "raesun!"

it couldn't be him, she thought, he'd be in detention surely?

"rae!"

oh you're so stupid, her mind fought against her, when does jeon jeongguk ever go to detention?

"sweetheart, please, i'm sorry!"

in a split second, a rough hand grabbed her by her blouse and twirled her around, the applicator pressed against her slick lips and eyes fluttering wide open. the sight of a panting jeongguk proved he must've ran to catch up to her, hair tousled and knuckles crusted with dried carmine.

"l–leave me alone," she whispered, slotting the lipgloss stick back into place and getting ready to turn around; he took a delicate hold of her wrist, the same wrist that was sore from jimin's tugging.

she hissed from pain, and his hand retracted quicker than lightning — his pained eyes deepened, a sorrowful frown stitched into his brows, "i–i'm so sorry, sweets, i'm—"

"jeongguk, please," her whisper shushed him, "just leave me alone, this... this was a bad idea—"

his frown grew angry, a fire slowly starting to creep onto his lovely face and licked at the whites of his eyes, "are you kidding me? you're giving up on me because of that dickhead?"

she grew red, fresh blooming embarrassment taking over and crawling across the bridge of her nose, "g–giving up isn't h–how i'd put it..."

but he just scoffed, shaking his head, "i knew the minute we made amends something would fucking come up," with his tongue pressed against his cheek, she could practically see the venom coating his words, a stormy blue taking over the usual fuschia–toned atmosphere.

"listen, i j–just think it'd be best i–if we spent some time a–apart..." her words fell, and his anger rose above heaven itself, the familiar fury of his starting to take control.

jeongguk snarled, "i thought you were different, i really did. i thought you'd..." he looked down at her again, taking a step back while carding a hand through sun–kissed locks, "i thought you'd accept my differences! i don't fucking know, i just thought — well, assumed — that you'd see me for being a human and not some kind of monster."

"i never asked for this," she mumbled, fiddling with her lipgloss; she wanted to concentrate on the pink champagne colour of the makeup rather than his frustration, "i never asked for you to keep... to keep coming back to me."

"i was chasing after you because i felt bad, raesun," his seething tone made her weak, his poisonous words hitting the sensitive organ of her heart, "you remind me of a terrible past, and i guess it's just repeated itself. what started as pity turned into adoration and i can clearly see that my feelings towards you aren't wanted right now."

feelings?

her mouth swung open, as his fists shook uncontrollably and his face flushed pomegranate pigment. raesun tensed up, pools of gold realisation widened, fingers losing grip on the lipgloss tube. the only sounds to temporarily occupy the uncomfortable silence, was the clatter of the tube against concrete and a buzz of nature at its finest.

"i–i can't believe i just said that," he let out in a quick breath; the need for a cigarette and a cold beer was strong, but he couldn't bare to just leave her despite how angry he was.

of course, raesun was sensitive to the new vision of the world, not quite used to the harsh saturation of midnight chaos and neon smoke.

so, what did she do?

she passed out to just fall into his arms.