30. NIGHTMARE RACING

NIGHTMARE
RACING

THE LEATHER OF the couch stuck to her skin as she awoke on the beat–up furniture, wincing at the morning sunlight hit her stiffen face. raesun felt worn out, just like the damn couch, from the night before; she almost forgot what had happened. the screaming, the punches, the tears — it all flooded back to her in the form of a mediocre headache.

jeongguk, yoongi and jin were stood around yoongi's car, the one that's been in repairs for a long while, and the three looked immensely proud of their work. her lover, the one with ink on his skin and sweet nectar buried in a cold heart, threw the last of his cigarette on the floor as he grinned.

"this will be look brand new after today, yoongs," he said as the owner of the vehicle laughed.

raesun smiled at that.

this was one of the many rare time she had seen them all look so happy, without the drugs or alcohol.

"you bet it fucking will," yoongi chuckled, patting the top of the car in delight, "let's hope i didn't waste my time with it."

jin was about to agree, before he met eyes with the woken girl: his smile turned sympathetic, eyes filled in some form of pity. he nodded over to her, "she's awake."

jeongguk turned his head, immediately making his way over to her as she sat up. her under eyes resembled mud, proving her exhaustion, and her cheeks still held onto the stains of despair from last night.

he sighed, then kissed her cheek, "how're you doing?"

she shrugged, "didn't sleep that great, too many... nightmares," a shiver ran down her spine from remembering how she tossed and turned — she could see her father's raised fist every time she closed her sore eyes.

jeongguk knelt down in front of her, stroking the raven locks upon her head with a callous hand, "you won't have to sleep on the couch anymore, you can, uh... stay in my room for a while," his cheeks, in just the slightest way, tinged with pomegranate pink, "if you'd like to that is."

"i–i..." she looked right into his eyes in disbelief, "i'd love to, but i don't want to intrude or anything—"

he laughed at that, "don't be stupid. i'd... i'd be more than happy for you to be there with me. i get... nightmares... too, i guess," with a scratch to the nape of his neck, his glossy gaze left her own and she felt her heart melting out of empathy.

jeon jeongguk wasn't just some bad boy with tattoos, addictions, and a rough attitude; he was a human at the end of the day, with honey in his soul and a haunting past.

"we can help each other then, yeah? like we always do," she whispered after taking a light hold of his hand, tracing messy stars on his palm.

he sighed at that, leaning straight in for a kiss she had been yearning for for a while. those softened lips of his, graced with smoke and tough words, embraced her own in a bittersweet moment. raesun's eyes fluttered shut at the sensation of his hand cupping her jaw to hold her close and his mouth on hers, his tongue tantalising as it dances across her bottom lip.

"hey lovebirds, do you mind not eating eachother's faces off while i make an announcement?" it was jimin, of course, who had ruined their special moment. jeongguk groaned against her mouth as she frowned, the two parting to face their friend.

"better be a good fucking announcement, i was having a good time," the youngest male furrowed his brows, raesun's cheek set alight at the comment.

jimin grinned, "well you can continue shortly, calm your dick."

"hurry the fuck up then, beatrice needs a fresh coat of paint," yoongi's arms crossed over his chest in impatience.

"beatrice? don't tell me you've named your car b—"

"jimin," jeongguk growled, just as eager to hear the news as much as everyone else, possibly more.

jimin giggled (yes, giggled) at his threatening manner, "oops, sorry," after clearing his throat, he started again, "a few friends of mine in the west have informed me that there's another race this weekend, and we've all been invited to watch. and you, my dear yoongi, have been asked to race this year."

race?

"first of all, never called me 'my dear' again," yoongi poked jimin's chest with a nimble skinny finger, "and secondly, this better not be some joke, you know—"

"—how much you love the races, yeah yoongi, i know almost too well," the other male rolled his eyes at his elder's words, "so are you guys in for it?"

as soon as raesun was about to agree, she realised jeongguk's face had paled. mentally face–palming, she remembered his parents' death and the cause of it. why on earth would he want to return back to that scene?

she gripped his hand tighter, whispering in his ear, "you don't have to go. we can stay here, there's no need to be... there."

jeongguk shook his head, "if you want to go, then i'll go."

raesun grew protective at that — he can't possibly want to be there, surely? "no, i'd rather you stay if you don't think—"

"we're going," he rose his voice for everyone else to hear, their faces brightening that no one would be left behind.

jin nodded, "so, when do we set off?"

raesun had a very bad gut–feeling.