28. SPLATTERED DENIM

SPLATTERED
DENIM

IT WAS NIGHTTIME. the sun had long since set for the time being, drunks littering the downtown streets, neon signs from liquor stores and twenty–four hour diners illuminating the dull concrete. she walked with exhaustion laced in every aching footstep as she waited for some type of miracle, some type of solution to her now homeless situation.

raesun had nowhere to go. her grandparents lived way too far for her to simply walk, given she had little to no money on her — they wouldn't let her in anyway, they were exactly like her parents: in love with nothing but money and theirselves. perhaps she could go to the garage or even jeongguk's house but she'd feel nothing but guilt.

she wiped at her cheeks, missing a few tears and they splattered on the denim jacket jeongguk gave her, a time which seemed like so long ago. a time in which she thought leaving her family would be the answer, but it's only brought more problems and a now petty feeling of freedom.

"hey pretty girl!" a stranger's voice, a mosy definitely drunk stranger, "come over here! come on pretty little girl!"

a frown of distaste grew on her face as her legs moved faster, glimmering under the store lights of fluorescent pinks and reds. this wasn't her scene, and she knew it, but felt oddly safer here than the quiet and private suburbs filled with blue hydrangeas, white picket fences, and fancy cars.

she just wished she wasn't so alone.

wrapping the jacket around her more, feeling a slight wind nipping at her legs from the exposure caused by a short skirt and knee socks, raesun cried harder. her eyes searched for a motel amongst the bustling bars and quiet diners, all to find nothing with hopes of a bed to sleep in just for one night.

until a miracle appeared.

"rae? rae, is that you?" turning to her left, she saw the old black car belonging to park jimin himself. his ink hair shimmered dark purple under the light of the store behind them, concern battling with the confusion on his otherwise innocent face as his arm hung out the window.

she stopped walking and sniffed, hurrying to wipe away ongoing tears, "y–yeah... hi jimin," with a humourless laugh, she bit at her lip to try and keep the sobs at bay but ended up giving a strangled cry.

"get in the car," he sighed, "come on, i'll take you somewhere safe," of course he meant the garage, a place of chill nights hazy with marijuana smoke and punk music playing low, of football games playing in the background when cheap beer was drunk and cigarettes stubbed.

but he'd be there. jeongguk. she knew he would be, and quite honestly, she didn't want anything more in that moment.

"a–are you sure—"

"just get in the fucking car," his word was final; she yelped quietly as she hurried to the passengers side.

his leather seats stuck to her exposed skin, a smell of pinewood and cigarettes clinging to the interior. raesun caught sight of herself in the mirror: messy untamed hair in spiralling curls, smudged mascara, tear tracks staining and her lips cherry red from the constant nervous nibbling.

oh boy was she a train wreck.

jimin pulled the car back into drive, the town's lights flashing by and car plunging in and out of colour. she hated the silence, so decided it'd be better to try and start a conversation, "i'm sorry if i've... i don't know... delayed you or anything."

the boy smiled, shaking his head, "don't worry, you haven't delayed me at all," jabbing a thumb in the direction of the backseat he smiled a little wider, "i just went to collect your boyfriend some more drinks."

sure enough, there was multiple bottles of the exact same beer they always drunk when together — those bottles has even appeared on jeongguk's desk sometimes.

but that one word, 'boyfriend', it somehow settled her. she mentally grinned at the mere thought of being his, and him being hers, to kiss him without questioning it and give him her heart without second guesses.

"he'll be mad," she realised she spoke out loud. a heavy blush bloomed on either cheek, one cheekbone painted with deep indigos and blues, the awful pain searing her skin.

jimin raised a brow at that, "mad at your bruises?" raesun turned to him in surprise that he had even noticed in the dark of the night, "yeah, i saw them the moment you sat in this car, darling. ain't exactly hard to, uhm... miss."

raesun pouted at that, jimin not asking any questions whilst lighting up a cigarette with one hand. his offer of one to her had been waved off with a weak hand — jimin smiled again at that, seeing the innocence in her quite refreshing.

but she wasn't smiling.

jeongguk won't be happy in the slightest.