05. MIDNIGHT PEBBLES

MIDNIGHT
PEBBLES

                           FROM THE SOUNDS of her parents arguing to the scuttling of the maids outside her door, raesun chose to ignore it all. she laid back on her freshly made bed, still fully dressed, and simply stared up at the ceiling. it wasn't unusual for mr and mrs kim to argue, in fact it was more uncommon to find them actually getting along; their daughter just didn't like it.

she never understood their marriage.

when she was younger, she was outside in the large back yard to not even hear a peep from either of them. though she got a good scolding if her dress had grass stains or her hair was one strand out of place, the two adults were still seen as angelic life savers in her youthful eyes.

now, they were nothing but greedy selfish people with the only goal being money. they strived every day to make sure their reputation was well kept, just as much as their daughter was. raesun was banned from wearing anything 'common' or 'on trend' — she was made to look professional and proper and she hated it.

she once thought it was cute, but in that moment, she hated the skirts and the cardigans and the blouses — they were suffocating.

the midnight air swarmed the room, moonlight pouring and stars shimmering. the sky was calling out to her, begging for her to escape into the night and lose herself in the late scenery, to feel free from the chains of the house and out of her picky parent's reach.

but of course, she couldn't leave.

an odd noise caused raesun to snap out of her stare, sitting upright and dodging a pebble flying through the open window. as her brows knitted together, she immediately grabbed the three pebbles scattered on her rug.

"what the—" another came towards her and thwacked her right between her furrowed brows, her squeal causing a deep laughter that she almost missed.

she rushed to her window to find jeongguk stood there, all in black, with a midnight aura and a bunch of pebbles in hand.

"what are you doing here?!" her eyes widened, a sudden flood of panic filling the gold pools.

he shrugged, "we agreed we'd see each other tomorrow, didn't we?" raesun frowned in confusion only to realise it was in fact the next day — just not quite the appropriate time.

she shook her head, "i can't leave—"

"sneak out. it'll be easy with the patio beneath you," raesun looked directly below, the roof of the patio almost tempting: she wanted to escape. it was tantalising, the mere sight of the moon's touch upon rose bushes and glistening concrete bathed in artificial streetlight.

moving her gaze to the boy with a sinner's smirk, she smiled. though he radiated warmth and fresh sunshine, there was a darkness hidden behind the tattoos and band shirts. she knew, deep down, he'd be the cause of more problems to come yet be solutions to many.

"come on, doll," he spoke, "the night won't last forever."

so raesun grinned, immediately scrounging around in her closet for an old pair of shorts she hid from her mother, giggling as she threw her skirt on the floor along with her blouse. after pulling on the shorts and a  t–shirt from her older brother, she left her knee socks on and grabbed her low chunky heels.

she didn't realise she was laughing so hard until a maid knocked on her door; raesun ran to her window, forgetting about the garments on the floor and the fact that she was actually going to leave without permission.

with one look back at her room, she swung her leg over the window and said a quiet farewell, leaving fresh flowers in her lungs and chuckles from a certain tattooed boy.

not much of a christmas present, but merry christmas — and to those who don't celebrate it, i hope you have an amazing day regardless

from, starr