29. MARY-JANE HAVEN

MARY–JANE
HAVEN

                           "I KNOW WE'RE not all that close," jimin said as he pulled up outside the garage, "but you can always talk to me you know. i don't judge, and i'm down to just listen if you want me to," his sincere tone made her cry more, the silence between them settled in and the only sounds being the fall of those pearlescent tears.

"i know," she whispered, "thank you." what more could she say?

jimin gave a half–hearted smile, patting her knee whilst opening the car door. raesun took a moment to dry her cheeks, gathering her sanity and exiting the vehicle with shaking legs. they passed a car in the works of being fixed and nearly tripped on one of the toolboxes on the floor. her quivering bottom lip threatened to release the sobs that were teasing her throat, but something told her that she should wait for privacy.

the garage door happened to be wide open, old christmas lights strung up around the room and marijuana smoke drifting out onto the streets. jin sat with rustled hair, yoongi similar with his sunglasses on and cap backwards, jeongguk smiling with a joint hanging from his chapstick–slick lips.

no doubt about it, they were all stoned.

"hey fuckers, guess who i've got with me," jimin spoke into their chilled atmosphere, all three heads gradually turning to the two.

jeongguk's face dropped seeing raesun's own, her feet awkwardly shuffling on one of the many rugs. her hair hung in front of her bruised cheek and her eyes didn't dare to meet his own, feeling the tears return in soft kicks.

after a few awfully silent moments, she saw jeongguk's feet in front of hers, "come on," he whispered as he gently took her hand, guiding her back out onto the streets.

weirdly enough, she felt a lot warmer with just his presence, the scent of familiarity in the form of acrylic and weed almost making her swoon. in a quick second he had picked her up and sat her on the hood of jimin's car, the metal cold against the back of her shivering thighs, his legs between hers.

"what happened sweetheart?" he asked, softly, to only sigh when her face buried itself in his chest. the worn print of his band shirt stuck to her wet cheeks as she cried, ugly painful sobs breaking out from her raw throat.

she felt useless, pathetic even, by sitting so limp in his tight hold. her chest ached and her eyes stung, never–ending forlorn streams seeping through his shirt because of her new case of hopelessness — her family had finally abandoned her.

was this relief or regret?

"rae, come on," he mumbled into her hair whilst rubbing her back; she sobbed harder when he tried to lift her face by her chin, her hair falling back and her bruises on full view.

it went silent.

yoongi, jin, and jimin had closed the garage door halfway to give them some privacy — good job they did, because she saw the anger in him yet again. he scanned the watercolour staining her cheek with upmost fury, raking back her hair and angling her chin towards the light.

"it's n–nothing, honestly—"

"you have to stop defending him!" he exploded, stepping back from her, "your dad is a controlling sick bastard, why can't you just admit that?!"

raesun shook her head, "i know he is! i know i know i know!" her head fell into her palms, only wanting him to soothe her storms and take away her pain, the psychical and emotional.

jeongguk, however, was too infuriated; he muttered curses under his breath, pacing back and forth — she peeked through the cracks between her fingers. his tensed back, hand gripping caramel strands of soft hair, other clenching fist turned ivory; he was going to crack any moment.

"please, jeongguk—" her words were ignored as he punched the garage door, the noise of skin on metal making her flinch.

"fuck!" he shouted, huffing as he punched it again. raesun hugged her knees to her chest and listened to the sound of him throwing tools around the front garden, plant pots smashed on the concrete, his fists flying into the garage door over and over.

"i'm gonna fucking kill the prick, i swear," jeongguk's voice had lowered but the seething rage was still there, and it scared her more than anything else; more than her father's beatings and hana's threats.

raesun cried, noticing his bleeding knuckles and flushed face, "no! p–please, jeongguk, please no!" her hands grabbed at him after practically falling off jimin's car hood, and she felt him freeze up.

the heavy breathing from the honey boy before her resonated in herself, tear–stained cheeks burning with fresh despair. slowly, his clenched fists unraveled, and they both stood in each other's embrace.

"i'll never let him touch you again, i promise."