Prologue

Thank you for reading please remember to vote! Please leave comments if you are interested in this story

Enjoy 😊

Prologue

Abby

This day couldn't get any worse. I was supposed to be off so I could take care of my own personal errands today, but no. My boss calls at seven in the morning to inform me that I don't get the day off. It's Saturday and I'm usually off at this time of day, snuggled in my bed asleep. My boss doesn't care. With the storms they're short handed and haven't been able to get the volunteers in to deliver the information packages to all the celebrities that are supposed to be participating in tomorrow nights fundraising gala. She needs me to come in and grab some of the packages and drive the hills to deliver each one by hand. We are way behind schedule and if those instructions are not delivered tonight, we can lose celebrity endorsements. It's apparently on my shoulders, I'm an assistant, nothing more. How did I end up with this?

"Where are you going? And why do you look like you're going to work? It's Saturday Abby, you don't work for them on weekends." Melanie my best friend and roommate says from the comfort of her Mickey Mouse pjs and our couch that I would love to snuggle into right now. "You're wearing your most professional skirt and high heels? What the fuck, Abby?"

"I got called in. I have to go drop off the information kits to the celebrity endorsers. If I don't get them out today, they won't have them for tomorrow. Not my fault, but now my responsibility." I tell her. I don't like this anymore than she does.

"Have you ever heard of telling someone no? Like that asshole of a boss? You need a life Abby. You're never gonna get one if don't stop working once in a while. Are you off tonight at least?" Melanie asks, she's been after me to go to the bar with her for a couple weeks now.

"I'm serving tonight and have the fundraiser tomorrow, then I bartend on Monday and serve Tuesday night after work. Sorry Mel. I gotta pay bills somehow. I'm off Wednesday night, ice cream and movie on me, okay?" I offer, I know she wants a girls night out, I just don't have the time or money. Living in LA is expensive even if it's outside the city in a smaller apartment and cheaper area of town.

I leave getting a frustrated grunt from my friend and head out to stop by the office first to pick up the packages. It's fucking pouring! Awesome! I run as best as I can in heels and jump into my car. I'm going to look like a drowned rat by the end of the day with this rain. Why did I even try to make myself look decent? I took the time this morning to tame my crazy long red curls and straighten them out, which in the five seconds I was in the rain has already turned into a frizzy mess. My green eyes seem to be almost electric as I look in the mirror and fix my face. Wiping any smears from my eyes I glare at my reflection. Lovely way for me to present myself to millionaires today. I really hope none think I'm their cleaning service. That would be embarrassing.

Once at the office I take a stack of packages waiting for me. Seems each of us are assigned with ten to deliver. I don't look at the names or addresses of who I got, I just grab my stack and head for the door. Of course, I hear the two girls that made this screw up happen and forced me to work today frantically searching through the ones that are still left to be delivered.

"Where is it? I left it sitting here. I wanted to be the one that got to deliver to him!" Her angry hiss rang through the office. I kept walking the last thing I wanted was a run in with Delilah today. "Who took the envelope for Oliver Steel?! That's mine!"

Oh boy, someone is about to get on her bad side. Whoever got him was definitely doing him a favor. Delilah was the kind of girl that was constantly on the hunt for an eligible hot LA star to take care of her. She was one that was willing to sleep her way in with any star she could and she's tried several times. I don't want to know what happened with any of them. I want to leave before Delilah wants to make me her lunch. I get into my car and look at the first address. I still don't rummage my stack to see who all I got, I don't care. None of them will notice me. I'm an assistant at the Alzheimer foundation. I answer the phone, run errands and set schedules. I'm not important enough to remember and not someone they need to impress. I plug the address into my phone gps and off to the Palisades I go. Turning on my wipers and glancing in my mirror, I shake the wet curls that are quickly becoming ringlets down my back. No point of trying now. This curly mess is as good as it gets today.