Chapter 11

Thank you for reading please remember to vote

Enjoy 😊

Abby

Oliver let go of me and quickly grabs plates, a bottle of wine and two glasses. Handing me the wine and glassware, he grabs the food and we head upstairs. We setup the food on his desk, turn the large TV on, Oliver gets a fire going in the fireplace and we get comfortable to eat our dinner.

We sat in bed and ate pizza watching a movie and got warm in front of the fire. We wanted to stay away from the windows downstairs just in case he, who I didn't want to talk about, comes back to snoop around. Upstairs seems the safest place to be. Oliver was starving and ate most of the food, while I picked at mine. I know Oliver noticed I wasn't eating, but he wasn't saying anything about it. I'm not sure if he's just waiting me out to tell him or if Oliver's going ask me, but I really don't want to talk about it. Seeing that guy again really took my appetite away.

"You need to eat, sweetheart." Oliver says softly. "You knew he was coming for you, didn't you?" Okay, so I guess we are going to talk about this.

"I am eating. I'm just slow." I answer not looking at him. I get a grunt in return from Oliver. He's not buying it. I'm going to have to talk about this sooner than later with him, I might as well get it over with. "Ethan met me when I was working for Quinn." Oliver stopped eating as I spoke and looked at me. I have his complete attention now. "It was five years ago when I started working for Quinn and it was my first real job. I was lucky, Quinn saw something in me and trained me into what he wanted as an assistant. He said no experience made it easier because I didn't have any bad habits to break. Anyway, I caught on fast and Quinn liked my work, he helped me with everything so I could succeed. After six months he wanted to see me be able to move up but without a degree I couldn't. He helped me get into night school so I could get my college degree. He was going to pay for it too."

"That's generous of Quinn. He's a good guy. I've known him a long time. When it comes to business he's willing to do the right thing to keep his people happy. There's very little turnover in his staff because of that. He'll take you back if you want." Oliver tells me. That surprises me. I thought he wanted me to work for him?

"I thought you want me?" I question. "To work for you I mean."

"Oh, I do. I'm just telling you he holds you in high regard, Abby. If you wanted to go back he would find a way. I want you with me. I'm not letting you go, trust me." Oliver reaches out for my hand. "Tell me the rest."

"Okay. Well I thought Ethan worked for Quinn too. I saw him there in the building all the time. Turns out he was scoping the place out trying to figure out who was the best one to get to Quinn's money. I was the lucky one. He dazzled me, complimented me, made me feel special, then one by one took the cards and my checkbook without me even realizing it. By the time I did they were gone, so was he. I felt terrible about it and went straight to Quinn. We got right on it, but it was too late the damage was done and I couldn't do a thing. The board forced Quinn to fire me and without a job, I couldn't pay rent or bills. All I had was my car. I was living in my car for a about six months when I met Melanie. She was nice enough to let me stay with her. I got jobs one at a time and slowly started paying things off as I could including Quinn. I did that on top of paying my rent to Melanie. I was broke, am broke, but I'm not willing to take anyone's money. I have to do it myself. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take advantage of them. Especially after all this."

Oliver was quiet for a long while as he took it all in. I know my story is a lot to believe but I don't want him to think that I want his money, I don't. I'm capable of working and earning my own way. I'm not a freeloader.