Chapter 4

Thank you for reading please remember to vote! Hope you enjoy 😉

Abby

It's one of those mornings. I woke up late again. These late nights working at the restaurant or the bar and then getting up early to get into the foundation in the morning isn't working well. I really hoped I would be able to do this just a little while longer, but I'm not sure. I'm really burning my candle at both ends. On top of that my car decided it was a good morning to not start. It really wasn't. It really really wasn't a good day for this to happen. I rushed around the apartment getting put together then raced to the bus stop, just missing the bus and walking to work instead. I'm all for exercise and helping out with the environment, but on a morning that I'm extremely late no, no I need my car. Now I've speed walked to work and I feel sweaty and gross and I know I'm going to catch all kinds of shit because of one thing... Delilah. She hates me and I just gave her all the ammunition she needs to fire me.

The foundation Monday morning was all a buzz over how well the gala went. Apparently we raised a record amount of donations and were still receiving more in. It was a great success and I was proud to have been apart of it. I worked very hard on my end to make sure everything was done right and it went off as planned. I even got to spend a little time with Oliver which, although it wasn't planned, was a nice perk for me. If Delilah ever finds out that I was the one who delivered his packet I will so lose my job. She hates me as it is, this will push her over the edge.

I tried to get to my desk quietly and unseen but no luck. I walked in the door and was stopped by a couple of people asking me questions how to process the donation checks. Once I finished explaining it,  I walked quickly towards my desk. I smiled shyly at a couple of the girls I worked with who were talking quietly at one of the desks and looked up as I walked past. Immediately they stopped talking and just watched me walk to my desk. In other words they were talking about me. I really hate office gossip, gossip in general but when people talk about others without knowing facts it drives me crazy. I sit down and start my work without looking back. I won't give people like that another thought. I pull out my files and start working on the mail that was returned and the thank you notes that need to be sent to those that attended the gala. Once we've received all the donations, I'll get to work on getting those thank you notes out as well. My job isn't glamorous, but it pays my bills.

"Well, well! Ladies did we all have just the most amazing time at the gala?" Delilah waltzed in the office smiling. Her dress two sizes too small squeezing her in places that it shouldn't. Her boobs were pushing out of the deep V neck, the skirt was too short and I hoped she didn't bend over in front of me. I just shook my head and wondered if she even owns a mirror. She saw me and stopped walking.

This was never good. Hers eyes narrowed in on me when I looked up and all I wanted to do was sink under my desk and hide. Why does this woman have it out for me? It seems if I was going to screw up it was going to happen in front of her. She was always looking for a reason to come down on me. Looks like she just found another reason.

"Good morning, Abigail. So nice of you to finally join us. I assume you've seen the morning paper and the wonderful article that was written on the gala?" Delilah walked steadily to my desk. Gloating. Why was she gloating at me? I don't get it.

Oh no, what is this about? She never tries to play nice with me, ever. "I'm sorry, Delilah my car wouldn't start. No, I haven't seen the article I haven't had time to look st the paper." I know I'm going to regret this. I don't want to deal with her this morning. I want to do my job and leave. That's it, that's all I want to do, but Delilah isn't going to let that happen.

"Oh well here, there's a lovely article on the foundation and a gorgeous picture of Oliver Steel and his debutant date, Avery Solomon." She slammed the paper down on my desk in front of me. Sure enough right in front of my eyes was a quarter page picture of Oliver with some gorgeous girl lip locked to him. My stomach clenched and began to turn.