Chapter 9

Thank you for reading please remember to vote.  Enjoy 😉

Oliver

Waking up to Abby curled away from me, wasn't what I wanted this morning. I know she's not used to it here with me yet, but she's going to need to get used to it. This is her home now, this is her bed, our bed. I roll closer up behind her and spoon her. Snuggling up with Abby's back close to my chest, wrapping my arms around her and resting my head into her neck. She didn't move, but muttered softly and linked her fingers through mine, and pulling my hand up to her chest snuggling her face into my palm. This works much better.

She was so upset last night about losing her job. Some jerk grabbing her that way, the fucker deserves to get punched. I'm glad she stood up for herself. I should have been there for her, but I was working. At least she doesn't have to go back there again. I know she said she needs the money, but I need to find out a little more about her past. I'm taking care of all her expenses, what does she need so much money for? I know she's got the car and it's repairs, but I was planning on taking care of that. Anything beyond that, what else does she have a credit card or two? Abby's responsible, I doubt she's in any trouble there. It doesn't make sense.

She shifts in my arms and faces me snuggling into my chest. This is getting so much better. Wrapping her arms around me she rests her head in the crook of my neck and I feel her soft warm breath on my skin. I can tell she's awake, but she's not talking and doesn't seem to want to move just yet which is fine with me. I can spend the whole day in bed with her if she wants. I'm liking this just fine. Her little fingers are rubbing circles on my back and my whole body is humming with an electrical pulses. I'm coming alive with her touch and hoping she's feeling the same thing I am. Then Abby huffs out a puff of air and she seems irked at something.

"You were frowning earlier, why?" Abby says finally when she pulls back looks at me. "When I rolled over you were frowning."

I nod and try to figure out how to gently ask her about the money. I don't want to be nosy I just want to help her out. She shouldn't have to struggle. I open my mouth and sigh. Just as I do I hear the front door open and voices downstairs. I smile at Abby, then begin kissing her forehead. I just got a reprieve from that conversation.

"Ollie, we come bearing food!" I hear Kate yell up to us. I'm not wanting to leave the bed but my stomach growls at the mention of food. I know it's taking priority.

"Come on, Abby! It's your favorite, birthday girl!" Melanie yells.

Birthday? It's Abby's birthday? I look at Abby and she shakes her head with her eyes closed. I can't believe I didn't think to ask her when her birthday was. It didn't even occur to me. I should have. I wonder if she knows mine. Abby doesn't want to get up, but Melanie yells again getting a growl out of Abby as she throws the sheets back and gets up like she's pissed. It's like this just set Abby in a worse mood. She rolls her eyes at me and sighs.

I feel like I need to say something, apologize for not knowing at least. "I didn't know it was your birthday, sweetheart. If I knew..."

"I don't celebrate it, so don't worry about it. Melanie does this all the time." Abby says angrily getting out of the bed and putting on a pair of shorts.

"So, it's not your birthday?" I ask her cautiously now confused. She looks a bit irritated that I know.

"No it is, I just don't like to celebrate it. Please don't make a big deal about it. There's nothing big about my birthday. It's just another day. Nothing special about the day, nothing special about me." Abby says. It's obvious that her birthday is something that's painful for her. I don't want to hurt her so I agree nothing big. That doesn't mean I will ignore it though. It certainly doesn't mean I won't do something for her. I will as soon as I figure out what to do.