Chapter14

Thank you for reading please remember to vote, comment and let me hear from you 😊

Enjoy 😉

Oliver

"So Abby, tell me what is it like to get away with grand theft?" My mother asks. The entire table went silent as we all stare, mouths dropped open at my mother's comment. "I'm sure running off with your boyfriend and spending the company's money was quite a good deal fun for trash like you."

Abby looks like she just got slapped across the face. I felt horrible for her. I knew she didn't want this and to hear my mother be so rude to her was embarrassing. I was furious with her and this stupid game she was playing. My mother wasn't getting away with it. She has pushed too far this time.

My embarrassment only grew as my anger with my mother outranked it. I took hold of Abby's hand I was about to stand up and leave, but I quickly noticed that my father had taken Abby's other hand and was staring down my mother. Okay....This was new. It's not that my parents didn't fight, they did fight just like any other couple, they just only did it behind closed doors. My mother was very clear about how we were to behave, she wanted only a certain image on display in public, one where we were the perfect family and everything was always perfect. That wasn't happening tonight.

"You need to apologize right now, Grace! That was completely uncalled for and extremely rude!" My father ground out to my mother. Damn, he is pissed. "Abby is Oliver's guest and she's working for him. You need to show her a little respect."

I looked across the table at Kate and I know the expression of surprise on her face matched my own. It's not that my father didn't yell at my mother or tell her when she was out of line. He just usually waited until we were home and there weren't eyes to see or ears to hear him go off. For him to do this in the middle of the restaurant meant she has already done something else to piss him off and now he's not holding back. Not a good sign of a good night.

"I was just wondering what it was like given that she helped rob poor Quinn of quite a large sum of money." Grace explains to her husband as she sips her wine. Smirking over the rim of her glass at Abby.

I felt Abby tense, her head tilted to one side as she measured up my mother. I know what was being said hurt Abby's feelings. I could see it for that brief second on her face. Then that moment of shock and hurt turned to anger and Abby was ready to defend herself and stand up to my mother. I wasn't fast enough to stop her and Abby got her say.

"I wasn't the one that stole anything. In fact, because it was my card that was stolen I have taken the responsibility for it and I have been paying Quinn back every cent that was taken from him." Abby defended herself as my mother glared at her like she was a piece of gum on the bottom of her shoe.

"If you didn't do it then why pay for it? Sounds suspicious to me." Avery snootily piped in. "Ouch!" She squeak and jumped in her seat.

"Oh! Sorry, sis, my foot must've slipped." Dylan apologizes although we know he kicked her on purpose. I look at Kate and she's trying to hid her giggles.

"I'm paying it back because it was my card that was taken. I was responsible for the card and therefore should be responsible for the money on the card. I'm not an irresponsible person. I take my jobs seriously and any responsibilities that I am entrusted with I do to the best of my ability. I felt horrible about what happened and Quinn knew that." Abby was getting upset as she explained the incident. She was professional in the way she was explaining herself but I could see she wasn't going to keep her cool long. I really wanted to just get her out of here grab a pizza and head back to the room for the night. This isn't the way I wanted tonight to go for us all.