Part One - Chapter Five: Surprise Meetings

Lionel sighed as he walked into the restaurant with Guillermo, he was meeting another one of the women that had been chosen for him so far and the first two had been far from impressive.

The footballer was quickly ushered into a corner table out of sight before anyone could spot him, as soon as this was over that he was heading home for a siesta; he was exhausted having spent the morning playing football with his nephews, even though he was injured.

“I have a good feeling about this one, she’s an actress and a model,” Guillermo said with a pleased smile on his face, he knew that Lionel was a little disappointed that they’d had no luck in tracking down Lucy but he was sure that they would find the blonde at some point.

Lionel nodded his head as he crossed his arms, he wanted this over as soon as possible and he didn’t know why he was finding it so difficult to choose a wife; he had thought that it would be easier than dating if he did things this way.

“Would you like to order anything?” came a voice making Lionel’s head snap to the side where a blonde waitress stood, she wasn’t looking at him as she fixed her notebook.

Guillermo shook his head and prepared to dismiss her; they would wait for Leslie to arrive with the next candidate before they ordered anything.

Lucia nodded her head, her body still ached from her last beating from Hernan and she had been glad for the time off that her boss had given her, however she couldn’t afford more time off now even if her injures called for it; she had rent to pay and she didn’t wish to upset Hernan again.

“Lia?” Lionel said allowing her childhood nickname slip from his lips, he couldn’t believe that she had been right under his nose the entire time; he’d been coming to this restaurant for about a week now and hadn’t seen her until now.

Lionel stared at Lucia as her blue eyes snapped up confused and stared at him, there was only one person in the world that called her by that name and he was now sat before in shock.

“Leo,” Lucia whispered in astonishment, there was no way that this could be really happening and she wished nothing more than to slip away now; she hadn’t ever expected to see him again after he left for Barcelona.

Guillermo looked between the two confused as he started to realise that this was Lucy, he blinked as he thought about how many times the blonde had served him since he had started coming to the restaurant; he hadn’t even consider that she could be Lionel’s childhood friend or anything else.

“Excuse me,” Lucia said before Lionel could say anything, she quickly turned on her heel and walked away knowing that it was better this way; people like him didn’t need people like her in his life, that was just how things were.

Lionel watched her leave confused, he hoped that she’d be happy to see him again but that clearly wasn’t the case; he quickly got up to follow after her before Guillermo stopped him.

***

Lucia took a deep breath as she stepped out of work, she had managed to complete her shift without running into Lionel again; she didn’t know how she had managed it but it didn’t matter now anyway.

Lucia brushed some hair from her face and prepared for the long walk back to her apartment, she ignored the grumble of her stomach knowing that she couldn’t afford to eat out and there was little food at her home; she couldn’t even afford the bus trip back to her apartment.

“Lia,” called a voice making Lucia stop, she had sworn that she had seen him leave with his agent and two women earlier; she didn’t know why he would hang around outside of a crappy restaurant like the one in which she worked at.

Lionel carefully approached Lucia, frightened that she would take off again; he was a little hurt that she didn’t want to talk to him but he hoped to make things right between them.

“Look I know that I’m an awful best friend… but I want to make this right,” Lionel said hopefully as he stuffed his hands into his jean pockets, his brown eyes taking in the image of his Lia; it was clear to see that life hadn’t turned out well for her like it had for him.

“Por favor,” the footballer said as he stopped in front of Lucia, he wanted nothing more than to be her friend and he hated that there was this distance between them; she had always been there for him and supported him when he needed it as a child.

Lucia sighed as she crossed her arms, she was careful to make sure that he didn’t see her bruises or to push too hard against her ribs; she really didn’t know why he was being this insistent about this.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Lucia said carefully, she was all too aware of the divide between them even if Lionel wasn’t; things had changed and they weren’t children anymore.

Lionel frowned at her words he wasn’t going to allow her to walk back out of his life, he’d just found her and now he was going to keep her any way possible.

“I’m not going to lose you again Lia… whatever it takes I will do it,” Lionel said as he watched her, he could see that there was something clearly off with Lucia and he felt horrible that he had no idea what was going on in her life; she had always been able to talk him when they were children.

Lucia stared at him, she truly wasn’t expecting him to put up this much of a fight, he hadn’t looked back when he had left for Barcelona; it didn’t make sense that he wanted her in his life now.

“Leo things have changed… we aren’t children anymore, you don’t know me anymore,” Lucia said carefully, this had to end and now; she didn’t want him to see how much her life had gone downhill since he had left to become a superstar footballer.

Lionel frowned at her words, she was right about him not knowing her anymore and he wanted to change that; the footballer wanted to fix his relationship with her, she was an important part of his life that he wanted back.

“Then let me get to know you again… have dinner with me tomorrow night,” Lionel said desperately, he wasn’t going to give in until he’d been given a chance; it didn’t even cross his mind that Lucia had a boyfriend or anything like that waiting for her at home.

Lionel was just determined to get his best friend back, he had missed her and he hated that he had forgotten her while he was in Barcelona; it had been the one promise that he had made to her that he had broken and he hated that he had lost contact with her.

Lucia looked at him as she took in his words, she shouldn’t agree to this but the idea of being able to eat was just too tempting.

“Just dinner?” Lucia asked as she shifted nervously, she didn’t belong in his world and she had a sinking feeling that he’d take her somewhere expensive; she doubted she would have anything that she could wear at a posh restaurant.

Lionel nodded his head eagerly, he was pleased to see that Lucia was considering his offer and he hoped that she would agree; he already had an idea where he would take her if she agreed.

“Okay,” Lucia finally conceded, she watched as a smile formed on Lionel’s face, she just hoped that she wouldn’t come to regret it later on.