Part Two - Chapter Four: Dinner in Rome

Lionel smiled as he stepped into the restaurant with Lucia, he had convinced her to let him take her to dinner to prove that he had changed.

The footballer wanted to show her that he could be completely dedicated to her after what had happened, he knew he had so much work to do to fix their marriage.

“You didn’t have to do this,” Lucia said as she allowed Lionel to take her hand, they both had work to do to trust one another again and Lucia didn’t want to admit that she was a little hopefully about her marriage this time around.

Lucia was wearing a royal blue shirred neckline short sleeve dress paired with black triple strap platform heeled sandals, she had wanted to look nice for their first night out ever; she just hoped that Lionel was actually going to keep the promises that he had made to her.

Lucia had resisted the urge to seek marriage counselling and she would only resort to that measure if things between them didn’t improve in anyway.

“I did, you deserve the best,” Lionel said he had to make up for never taking her anywhere and for forgetting her last birthday; this was the least he could do.

Lionel knew how lucky he was that she hadn’t just filed for divorce and left him in the dust, it was what he deserved and he wasn’t going to let her regret giving him this chance.

Lucia blushed a little as she noticed people looking at them, she had been out of the limelight for so long and now it would take time for her to get used to it again.

Lucia just hoped that the paparazzi weren’t going to be so much of a problem for her while she was heavily pregnant and when the baby was born.

“Reservation for Messi,” Lionel said to the hostess as he drew Lucia close to him, his eyes barely looking at the beautiful Italian hostess that was stood behind the desk.

“Right this way signore Messi,” the hostess said as she glanced at Lucia, she eyed the pregnant blonde for a bare moment before she collected two menus and signalled for the couple to follow her.

Lionel glared at the dark haired woman knowing that he wasn’t going to allow her to ruin things for him, he was still apologizing for what happened with Antonella.

Lacing their fingers, Lionel led his wife through the restaurant and upstairs to the balcony knowing that they would be okay; he wasn’t going to allow anything to get between them this time.

“Can I get you anything to drink?” the hostess asked as she waved her hand over the table where they would be sitting, she watched as Lionel moved to pull out Lucia’s chair for her.

Lionel helped his wife sit down before he pressed a tender kiss to her cheek, they hadn’t kissed properly yet but Lionel wasn’t in a hurry to force anything.

“Water por favor,” Lionel said as he sat down and smiled at Lucia, she couldn’t drink because she was pregnant and he wasn’t going to drink either; he didn’t care if she was okay with it nor not, he wanted to be supportive.

Lucia nodded her head in agreement making the hostess purse her lips before she walked away; Lucia watched her go knowing that she had hoped to turn Lionel’s head.

***

Lionel chewed on his seafood bucatini as he watched Lucia, he had so many questions on his mind right now and he couldn’t help but wonder what would happen now between them.

“Leo?” Lucia asked as she noticed the look on her husband’s face, she blinked wondering if everything was okay as she stopped eating her spaghetti alla Norma; she knew that he had been quiet since their food had arrived.

Lionel sighed as he set down his fork and looked at Lucia, he felt hopeless right now and wished that he had all of the answers.

“What will happen when I go back to Barcelona?” Lionel asked as he looked at his wife knowing she still had another month in Italy left to go but he didn’t think that he could just leave her behind.

Lionel was worried that she might find someone else still and he didn’t want to lose her now that she had agreed to give him a second chance.

Lucia sighed as she moved her nude metal bar shoulder bag to by her feet carefully, she had known that she was going to have to tell him sooner or later; Lucia had hoped they’d be alone for this.

“Leo… I’m moving back to Barcelona next week,” Lucia revealed knowing that there was little point in keeping this from him, she rested her hand on her bump as he stared at her.

Lionel blink wondering if he had heard her right that she was going to be coming home next week; the footballer had thought that he would be without her for much longer.

“You’re coming home?” Lionel said in awe as he stared at his wife, he knew that this was what he wanted and he didn’t mind waiting until her work was done in Italy.

Lionel wanted her to return to him when she was ready and he didn’t even mind that she stayed behind as long as she did come home to him.

“I want our baby born back in Barcelona… I can’t fly after I’m thirty-six weeks,” Lucia explained softly as she offered the footballer a small smile, she watched his hands twitch before she took a deep breath and reached over and took his hand.

Lionel laced their fingers knowing that this was a good sign, he held hope that they could really make this work; he had done so much to the house since she had left and he hoped she liked it.

“When?” Lionel asked he would prefer if she came home with him, he didn’t like the idea of her being on a plane by herself while thirty-four weeks pregnant.

Lucia cleared her throat as she shifted her weight carefully, he was excited but she had to pack up all her things up first before she went anywhere.

“A couple of days,” Lucia said shrugging, her blue eyes watching Lionel carefully wondering what he would do with that knowledge; Gerardo would want him back before the next match and there was no way that he would stay with her.

“I’ll stay with you, then we can fly back together,” Lionel said he didn’t care if the club fined him, he needed to be with his pregnant wife and he was going to do what he felt was right.

Lucia opened her mouth to protest, she didn’t want him doing anything that would get him into trouble; she chewed on her lip as she tried to think of some reason for him to leave ahead of her.

“I want to be here with you Lia… I wouldn’t feel right if I left you alone right now,” Lionel said as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it, he wouldn’t forgive himself if something happened to her while she was alone.

Francis was away in Verona and Lionel was meant to fly back to Barcelona tomorrow meaning Lucia would be alone in Rome heavily pregnant.

Lionel also still didn’t trust Francis with his wife, he didn’t care if the man was just a friend to Lucia; there was just something about him.

“Leo…” Lucia murmured as she felt tears building in her eyes, she cursed her hormones as she reached for her napkin, she wouldn’t be able to stop herself from crying.

Lionel chuckled as he watched her wipe away her tears, he reached out for her hand again; he wasn’t going to leave her.

“I love you Lia and I’m going to spend the rest of my life proving it,” Lionel said knowing that he was going to tell her every day that he loved her, she was the woman that he wanted and that was all that mattered to him.