Part One - Chapter Six: Just Dinner

Lucia sighed as she waited outside of the café, she was a little relieved that Lionel hadn’t wanted to take her to some expensive restaurant where she would look out of place; she was even more surprised that it was the café where they had hung out as children.

Lucia was wearing a grey shift dress with drape front paired with black chain barely there sandals that she often wore when she was going to church; it was one of the nicer things that she opened and she had wanted to look nice.

“Siento I’m late,” Lionel said as he appeared, he ran a hand through his messy brown hair as he looked at Lucia; he was a little surprised at how she looked since he remembered how much she hated dresses when her mother used to force her into them.

Lucia nodded her head as she eyed the footballer, she wasn’t sure what to expect when it came to Lionel and she wasn’t completely sure what he wanted out of this.

The footballer led the blonde into the café and made sure that they sat away from the windows so that no one would disturb them; he didn’t want any paparazzi getting pictures of the two of them since he didn’t think that Lucia would enjoy being splashed across the morning paper.

“So tell me about yourself,” Lionel said as they sat down, he was curious about what had happened since he had moved to Barcelona; he worried that her life had fallen apart while he had been gone.

Lucia stared at him for a moment, she knew that this was about reconnecting but she didn’t want to tell him how crappy her life was; she didn’t have anything to show like he did.

“There’s not much too tell… I work at the restaurant, I have my own one bedroom apartment,” Lucia said shrugging making Lionel frown, he could sense that she was hiding herself from him and he didn’t like it.

***

“Lia,” Lionel said annoyed as he stared at her, he wanted to know what her life was like and he was curious about why she was holding so much back from him; he hated that she couldn’t bring himself to tell her what was going on.

Lucia looked at him wondering what he wanted from her, he had been gone for thirteen years and things had changed for them.

The pair where in the middle of having dinner now and Lionel still hadn’t been able to get much out of Lucia; he didn’t know if she was doing this to annoy him or on purpose.

“I don’t know what you want me to say,” Lucia said as she sipped on her water, she had kept her dinner simple since she wasn’t sure how much her stomach would be able to handle; she couldn’t eat a lot in case she was sick.

Lionel sighed knowing that this wasn’t easy for either of them, he wished that he had stayed in contact with her so things wouldn’t be like this now.

“I don’t know… do you have a boyfriend?” Lionel asked without thinking, he blinked as he looked at Lucia who seemed equally surprised that he had asked her something like that; they sat quietly for a moment as the footballer’s outburst, neither of them sure what to say now.

Lionel groaned he had made a mistake at asking that question, he’d made things even more awkward than what they had been before.

“I’m single,” Lucia said after what seemed like forever, she offered Lionel a reassuring smile knowing that he hadn’t meant to ask her in that way; she watched him as he looked at her a little relieved that he hadn’t upset in at all.

Lucia watched the footballer knowing that she couldn’t just shut him out of her life, he was making an effort and it was clear that she needed to do so as well; she need a good friend and she was going to need one soon.

“How are your parents?” Lionel asked curiously as he watched Lucia, he could feel a change in her behaviour and he hoped that she’d be more open now with him; he hated to lose her now after he had managed to get her agree to meet with him.

The blonde swallowed as she thought about her parents, she knew that Lionel wouldn’t judge her when she told him about how things had gone downhill for the family of three; it was something that she had always liked about him.

“My madre is doing well… she’s still works at that café but part-time now,” Lucia said carefully making Lionel nod his head, a smile formed on his face at the thought of Annabelle Prieto; she had used to give them left over cakes when she came home from work.

Lionel didn’t miss the hesitation that the blonde had to talk about her father, he felt a knot form in his stomach knowing better than anyone the health problems that Andres Castro had.

“Lia, what happened?” Lionel asked concerned as he realised how upset Lucia was about this, he hated to think that she had lost her father and he hadn’t been there for her; he suddenly felt even worse for forgetting about her.

“He had kidney failure a couple of years back, he’s on dialysis now until we can afford a transplant,” Lucia said as she wiped away some tears, she couldn’t believe that she was crying in front of Lionel; she hated that he could make her open up like this to him.

The footballer handed her a tissue wishing that there was some way that he could help her, he hated that this upset her this way and he knew there was no way that she would accept any money from him.

***

“Gracias for tonight,” Lucia said as she smiled at him as she shouldered her gold metal rectangular box clutch bag as she prepared to head home, she knew that she had a bit of a walk and she didn’t want to be caught out too late.

Lionel nodded his head as he fished his car keys from his pocket, he smiled pleased that she had opened up to him even if it was only slightly; it was a step in the right direction for them.

“Let me give you a lift,” Lionel insisted, he didn’t want Lucia walking home in the dark and it made him nervous that something could happen to her; she was his best friend and he wasn’t going to risk her safety for anything.

Lucia shook her head as she looked over at the Lexus 4×4 that was parked just a little away from them, she knew what would happen if Lionel drove her home; she didn’t want him to think poorly of her.

“It’s fine besides you would probably be robbed a gun point if I let you,” Lucia said as she smiled at Lionel, she knew that her words would worry him and she didn’t blame him; she often worried for herself when she walked home from a late shift.

Lionel stared at her as worry consumed him, he didn’t like the fact that she was living in a dangerous area; he was almost tempted to offer her his home so that she would be safe.

“Don’t worry, I will call you when I get home,” Lucia reassured him, she leant forward and pressed a kiss to his cheek; she knew that that he wasn’t going to let her go if something could possibly happened to her.

Lionel felt his heart flutter at the touch of her lips, he smiled softly as he looked at her; he really didn’t know why he felt like that but he couldn’t help but worry for her safety.

“I’ll be waiting for your call,” Lionel said as he took her hand, he didn’t want to think about what he would do if something happened to her; he would blame himself if she was harmed in any way.