Part Two - Chapter Eight: Showing You My Love

Lucia rubbed the sleep from her blue eyes as she woke up, she felt a little better now that she had cried and Lionel had saw just how hurt she was still.

Lucia sighed sitting up and blinked confused as she spotted a tray of food on the bedside table next to her with a note.

Lucia carefully reached for the note wondering what was going on, the bowl on the tray was filled with Greek yoghurt mixed with chopped dried fruit, flaked almonds and muesli.

“I didn’t want to wake you but here’s some breakfast and don’t forget that I love you,” Lucia whispered as she read the note from Lionel, she chewed on her lip as she fought back a small smile knowing that he didn’t have to do this for her.

The bowl of yoghurt was occupied by a glass of orange juice and Lucia couldn’t help but feel a little special that he had done this for her before he had gone to training.

Lucia carefully picked up the breakfast that Lionel had left her and started to eat, she had five weeks until her baby was born and the blonde knew that she was going to need to need all of her strength.

“He’s really trying isn’t he?” Lucia murmured as she looked at Poppy who wagged her tail and looked at Lucia as she stared up at her with big brown eyes.

Lucia slowly started to eat as she thought about the change that she had felt when she had cried in front of Lionel and it felt like the weight off her shoulders had been lifted completely.

“Do you think I’m being too hard on him?” Lucia asked as she looked at Poppy and brushed her fingers through the dog’s fur, she knew that it was a stupid question but this wasn’t the Lionel that she had left behind five months ago.

***

Breakfast in bed wasn’t Lucia’s only surprise from Lionel that morning, the blonde was shocked when a purple hyacinth bouquet were delivered, she opened her mouth confused before she was presented with a card that went with the flowers.

“I never meant to hurt you, and I hope one day that you can forgive me,” the note read making Lucia blush as she realised that they were from Lionel.

Lucia grinned as she smelt the flowers and moved to put them in a vase of water so that she could place them on the coffee table in the living room.

Lucia smiled softly as she looked at them knowing that she certainly hadn’t been expecting Lionel to do anything like this; she had thought he’d just forget about what had happened.

Poppy followed Lucia eagerly into the kitchen as her owner tried to not feel touched that her husband was determined for her to forgive him for what he had done.

Lucia honestly hadn’t put much thought into how her marriage to Lionel would now work out but it certainly wasn’t like this; it was going to take a lot of work to fix things between them.

Lucia rested a hand on her bump knowing that it wouldn’t be long now until the baby was born and then she’d have something else to worry about.

“I’m home,” Lionel called making Lucia look at the clock a little surprised that he hadn’t stayed out after training, she had noticed in the week that she had returned home that he spent a lot of time with her helping her rebuild her trust in him.

Poppy wagged her tail as she hurried out of the kitchen and hurried to greet Lionel at the front door, Lucia rested her hands on the counter as she chewed on her lip wondering what to do.

Lucia didn’t have to wait long before her husband walked into the main room with a smile on his face.

“Gracias for the flowers,” Lucia said brushing some hair from her face, she smiled at him as his face lit up at the sight of the flowers that he had ordered.

The footballer nodded his head as he headed to set his training bag in the utility room until he’d had lunch with Lucia.

“I got you a toasted ham and cheese wholemeal sandwich with a pear for lunch,” Lionel said after he had set his bag in the utility room, he produced a bag with food in it.

The footballer wouldn’t admit it but he had done a lot of research into how Lucia would need to eat right now that she was in the last trimester of her pregnancy and had printed off a couple of helpfully menu ideas.

Lucia blinked as she watched him for a moment, she hadn’t thought that Lionel would continue on from this morning having provided her with breakfast and something to snack on during the day.

Lucia nodded her head as Lionel moved to serve dinner, she watched him curious about what had brought this on.

“And for dinner I am making beef lasagne made with ragu sauce with a mixed side salad,” Lionel said as he plated the food that he had brought home for lunch.

Lucia nodded her head as she moved to sit at the dining table in the room, her blue eyes continuing to watch Lionel curiously about what he was doing; she had never seen him like this before.

***

“Do you need anything?” Lionel asked as he walked into the living room, his brown eyes watching her closely as the blonde curled up on the couch with Poppy.

Lionel had spent his afternoon with Lucia and making sure that everything was perfect, he didn’t want her doubting that he loved her in anyway.

Lucia shook her head as she looked around at the glass of water that he had already given her as well as the shortbread biscuits and chocolates that were scattered around.

“I think I’m okay,” Lucia said carefully, her blue eyes turning to her husband who shifted nervously across the room from her.

Lucia knew that she had to give him a chance and she didn’t want him thinking that all he had done so far wasn’t making her feel loved; it was a strange feeling for Lucia especially after Lionel had said that he could never love her.

“Why don’t you come and watch television with me?” Lucia offered as she watched him, he was working so hard to get win back her trust and forgiveness.

Lucia offered Lionel a small smile, he wasn’t the only one that needed to put some effort in when it came to their relationship.

Lionel stared at his wife for a moment as he felt hope fill him, he had thought that she’d be okay with the fact that they were a little separated right now; it made him happy that she was at least willing to try.

Lucia watched Lionel as he moved to sit down next to her, it wasn’t a lot but she had to start somewhere and it was going to take time.

Lionel sat stiffly on the couch, he didn’t want to make his wife feel uncomfortable; he had put her through so much that he was determined to fix this damage.

Lucia sighed as she carefully moved and pressed a kiss to Lionel’s cheek, she offered him a small smile as he looked at her confused about why she had done so.

“Gracias for today,” Lucia said he didn’t need to do all of the things that he had, she really felt loved right now and she had never thought that she would feel that from him.

Lionel smiled at her, he really didn’t mind that he had been treating her specially, especially since she had every right not to offer him any comfort right now.

“It’s fine,” Lionel said as he started to relax, he would take time for her to fully forgive him and he was okay with that as long as she did one day forgive him.