Part Two - Chapter Twelve: The Waiting Game

“Everything seems to be going well,” the midwife reassured the couple as she finished checking Lucia over, she smiled knowing that this must be scaring for the couple since this was their first baby.

Lucia nodded her head as she gritted her teeth, she was glad to finally have some pain relief, her hand was tightly holding Lionel’s and she hadn’t released it since she had been settled onto the bed.

“I’ll be back in a little while to see how things are going,” the midwife said as she set down Lucia’s chart before she left the couple alone to check on the other expectant mothers that were on the delivery ward.

Lionel sighed in relief as he watched her go, he was still a little on edge about being at the hospital knowing that a couple of people had recognised him and he was sure it would be all over the internet now that Lucia was in labour.

“Did you call our parents?” Lucia asked curiously as she looked at her husband, she had noticed him step out when she had first been admitted and settled into the room.

Lucia’s parents would be thrilled at the idea of their first grandchild was coming into the world and disappointed that they would be able to come out to Barcelona and see her.

Andres Castro was still receiving treatment for his kidney problems and the family were holding out hope that he would have a new kidney soon.

Lionel had continued to pay for his father-in-law’s treatment when he had been separated from Lucia; the couple had kept their parents in the dark over his emotional affair with Antonella.

As far as both families knew, Lucia had been gifted with a once in a life time opportunity and Lionel had insisted that she take it even if she was pregnant with his child.

“I did,” Lionel reassured her as he moved to sit down and kept a hold of her hand, he knew that it couldn’t be long now until their daughter was born.

Lucia nodded her head as she leant back on the pillows, she was wearing a pink maternity nightdress and was comfortable right now.

Lucia closed her eyes as she felt another contraction, she winced making Lionel squeeze her hand in comfort; this wasn’t easy and even with the pain medication, she was going to feel each contraction.

“I really hope this isn’t a long labour,” Lucia said as she opened her eyes, she dread to think of her labour going on for hours; she just wanted to have her baby and be done with it.

Lionel nodded his head as he brushed his fingers tendering against the back of her hand, he wished that he could make this easier for her but there could still be a long road ahead of them before their daughter was born.

“It doesn’t matter, I’ll be here every step of the way,” Lionel said as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it, he wasn’t going to leave her side for anything; he didn’t want miss the birth of his daughter.

Lucia smiled at him glad that she had him in her life, she wasn’t sure she would be able to do this on her own; they were going to be parents in hopefully a few short hours.

***

“Hola,” said a voice making Lucia frown opening her blue eyes confused, she was four hours into her labour and had decided to take a nap for a while since things weren’t moving as quickly as she had hoped.

Lucia was startled to see a broad-shouldered, beefy, bald-man staring at her; quickly realising that there was a stranger standing in her private hospital room.

Lucia noticed that he was wearing Barcelona shirt and didn’t have to guess why he had come to her room, she cursed her husband for being so famous right now.