Part One - Chapter Twelve: A New Stage

Lionel raised an eyebrow at his wife as she finished boxing up her few things that she owed for her move to Barcelona; he was surprised by how little she actually owed and he knew he’d change that when they reached their home.

“How are you feeling?” the footballer asked as he sat back on the bed and looked around the room, he was glad that he was taking her away from this place and he hoped that she’d never come back; he’d already put the apartment up for sale without her knowing.

Lucia sighed as she stopped what she was doing and looked at him, she knew that he was excited to be heading back home and she was a little nervous about her new life.

“I’m okay,” Lucia said as she nodded her head, he was worried about her especially since the police hadn’t charged Hernan after what he had done to her; it was the reason that he had insisted coming with her when it came to packing up her things.

Lionel had wanted someone else to come and get her things for her, but Lucia had insisted that she do it herself; she didn’t want anything getting left behind.

“Lia,” Lionel murmured as he pushed himself to his feet, he walked over to his wife and took a deep breath as he took her hand as he stopped her completely; he could tell something was bothering her and he wanted her to open up to him.

Lucia had already quit her job as a waitress and the footballer was insistent that he would help her find a better job in Barcelona; he wanted her to feel comfortable in her new home.

“It’s nothing… I’m just going to miss this place,” Lucia whispered as she had lived in her apartment for four years and it was the first home she’d had to herself, she didn’t like that she was leaving it behind.

“It’ll be okay you know,” Lionel said comforting her, he hated that she was upset about moving but he had a career in Barcelona and she had agreed to move with him; they were going to fly back to Spain in a couple of days so that they could settle down for the coming season.

Lucia nodded her head as she took a deep breath, she knew that she was being silly she had agreed to all of this when she had signed her contract and there was no going back now that she was Lucia Messi.

“I know… I’m just a little nervous,” Lucia admitted making Lionel chuckle and nod his head, he knew that this wasn’t going to be easy; his marriage to her would be announced before they returned to Barcelona and he knew that the media would go crazy about missing out on the ceremony.

Lucia took a deep breath as she moved away from Lionel and continued to box up her things, she felt butterflies in her stomach and she knew better than to get attached to Lionel; he would never feel the same way for her like she had started to feel for him.

***

Lucia sipped on her drink as she watched Lionel prepared dinner, he had insisted on cooking for her since she had done enough by packing up her things to be shipped to Barcelona, her new home.

“I have been thinking… how would you feel about a puppy?” Lionel asked as he glanced over at his wife, he watched her as she spluttered on her drink surprised at his question; she wiped her mouth as she tried to clear her throat.

Lucia blinked as she wrapped her head around what Lionel had just asked her, she tilted her head wondering what had made him ask such a thing; the footballer chuckled amused as he started to plate up their food.

“It’s just a thought… someone to keep you company,” Lionel said shrugging his shoulders, he knew that it would take Lucia some time to adjust to her new home and he wanted to help her in any way possible.

The last dog he’d had was Toby, who had been Antonella’s poodle and she had taken him with her when she’d broken up with him and moved out; he missed the dog and getting another one would be a good idea.

“Seriously?” Lucia asked as she watched him set their dinner on the table, she eyed her husband wondering why he would want that; she knew he’d be away a lot when the season started back up again in August and she would be left to her own devices.

“Sure why not,” Lionel said shrugging as he sat down at the dining table, he sipped on his drink knowing that he wouldn’t mind having a dog around; he knew it would also be a nice bonding point between them.

Lucia chewed on her lip as she watched him, she didn’t know what had brought this on but she was a little relieved that he had thought about what would happen while he was at work; it would take a while for her to find a job that she enjoyed.

“Okay,” Lucia agreed making Lionel smile as he nodded his head at her, she knew that they were both going to have to get along when it came to making this marriage work; the blonde did have a couple of questions about their sleeping arrangement when they reached Barcelona.

“So when we get to Barcelona… how are we sorting out the sleeping arrangements?” Lucia asked carefully she watched as Lionel paused for a moment knowing that they did need to talk about this; he had a five bedroom house and since they had married, the two had yet to share a room together.

Lionel didn’t want to force Lucia to do anything that she wasn’t comfortable with, he wanted her to warm to him especially since he was determined to make his marriage work.

“We’d share a room if you don’t mind,” Lionel said as he looked at the blonde, he didn’t want people finding out why he had married Lucia; he didn’t believe there was any other choice.

***

Annabelle sniffled as she looked down at her daughter’s wedding picture, she knew that she should be happy for Lucia but she couldn’t help but sense that something was amiss with Lucia’s marriage to Lionel.

“She’ll be okay Anna, whatever is going on Lucy is a smart girl,” Andres said as he tried to comfort his wife, he sat down next to her knowing that while he didn’t trust Lionel with his little girl; Lucia could have chosen worse for a husband.

Andres knew that Lionel would keep his only child and daughter safe and he had to admit that he had always known that there was something special about the pair even if no one else could see it; Lucia had always had feelings for the footballer, just like Lionel had feelings for her.

“And if anything does happen then I’ll make sure he never plays football again,” Andres vowed he would break the footballer’s legs if anything happened to Lucia; his daughter deserved the best and she was always going to be his little girl.

Annabelle smiled as she looked at her husband, she knew that he was right and she hoped that if anything did go wrong with her daughter’s marriage then Lucia would come home to them.

“I know… I just worry, she’s going so far away from us with him,” Annabelle said as she wiped away some of her tears, she might not have told Lucia that they had noticed the strangeness of her relationship but she knew that there was something going on between Lionel and her daughter and it wasn’t a real marriage.