Part Two - Chapter Five: Returning to Barcelona

“This is it,” Lucia said as she looked around her apartment knowing that she wouldn’t be seeing it again and that sort of made her sad.

Lionel nodded his head as he watched his wife, he was glad that she was coming home at last and he knew that the sooner that they were home the better.

Gerardo had been understanding when Lionel had called him to explain he was going to be flying back a few days later than planned; he wanted to be with his wife and no one could deny him that.

“Are you ready?” Lionel asked walking over to Lucia knowing that the sooner that they were home the better, he wanted the flight out of the way and for her to be home.

Lucia nodded her head as she set the keys to the apartment on the coffee table where she had been told to leave them as she collected her brown faux leather slouch shoulder bag; it was finally time for her to go home.

Lucia was wearing a white maternity zip front colour block shirt and black skinny jeans paired with black ankle boots; she was dressed comfortable for the flight home.

“I think that’s everything,” Lucia said as she allowed Lionel to take her hand and draw her close, she had noticed how clingy he had been with her since he had come back into her life.

Lucia guessed that he was going to be like this for a while, they had been apart for five months and they did have a baby coming in a few weeks; she knew that Lionel would feel protective of her.

Lionel smiled as he looked at her, once they were back in Barcelona that everything would be okay; he just knew that it would be a fresh start for the both of them.

***

Lucia rolled her blue eyes as another person approached her husband to ask for an autograph and a picture, she had forgotten what it was like to be the wife of famous footballer.

No one in Italy had really bothered her while she had been there since no one had realised that she was married to Lionel Messi; however now everyone seemed to know who she was again.

“How are you feeling?” Lionel checked as he finished with the person and turned back to her, his brown eyes filled with concern knowing that he wouldn’t feel right until they were home safe and sound.

Lucia was heavily pregnant and with only six weeks until their little girl was born, the couple had a lot of work to do on their marriage.

“I’m fine,” Lucia reassured him as she nibbled on her apple pastry that she had gotten from the café where they were sat; she had been feeling a little hungry and Lionel had insisted that he buy her some lunch.

Lucia watched her husband as he sipped on his coffee, the flight was two hours long and the sooner that they left the better.

“What will you do when we get back to Barcelona?” Lionel asked curiously knowing that she was meant to be working with Francis for another month and the gallery wouldn’t take her back since they had already replaced her position.

Lucia paused for a moment in thought knowing that she wanted to enjoy her first child growing up and she had more than enough money to take a little time off while she looked after their daughter.

“I’m going to enjoy my maternity leave… maybe take a year off to be with the baby,” Lucia said as she rested her hand on the bump, she didn’t miss the pleased smile that Lionel gave.

The footballer didn’t want their daughter being handed off to a nanny for any reason nor did he want Lucia to spend too much time working when he could easily support her.  

The couple were silent as they thought about what Lucia was going to do, they knew it wasn’t going to be easy and that they still had a lot of work to do on their own marriage right now.

“Have you thought of any names?” Lucia asked as she looked at Lionel, he’d had a few days to take in the fact that they were going to have a baby girl and she was curious if he had any names that they could use.

Lionel paused as he eyed his wife, he had a few that he would have loved for their daughter to have and he hoped that Lucia would like them.

“I have a few,” Lionel admitted as he messed with the cup that his coffee was in, he knew that they had a little while to go before their flight was called and he knew that Lucia was curious.

The footballer had been thinking a lot since Lucia had told him that they were going to have a daughter, he hadn’t known what to think before she had told him and he hadn’t really been a part of her pregnancy.

“Sofia, Agustina, Maia or Camila,” Lionel said carefully as he watched Lucia’s face, he was curious about what she was going to say about the names that he liked.

Lucia smiled fondly at the names that he had listed, she really liked two of them and she was sure that they could somehow make the perfect name for their daughter.

***

“You’re back,” Shakira said happily as she moved to greet her best friend, she grinned at the large bump that Lucia was carrying knowing it wouldn’t be long now until Milan had a new friend to play with.

Lucia grinned as she hugged Shakira as best she could, her bump stopped them from hugging properly; it had been a while since the two had seen each other face to face.

Lionel watched his wife chat happily with Shakira, he smiled knowing that it wouldn’t be long before she felt the same about seeing him; the footballer just hoped that he could make things right.

“You look so in love,” Gerard teased as he moved over to Lionel, he hadn’t been sure what to think of his friend staying back in Italy but he was glad to see that things had worked out well.

Lionel nodded his head as he leant against the luggage trolley, he couldn’t help but smile, he had been lucky that she had taken him back.

Everyone knew that he had made a real mess of things when he had focused on Antonella and Lucia had left him behind for five months; no one had thought that she would come back.

“I’m happy for you Leo… just don’t mess it up this time,” Gerard said as nudged his friend, he grinned as he looked over at Shakira who was hushing over a very pregnant Lucia.

Lionel nodded his head his friend was right, he wouldn’t get another chance if he ruined things this time or repeated his last mistake.

Not only that but Lionel had a baby on the way and he didn’t want any man ever being a father to her but him.

“Trust me, I don’t plan on it,” Lionel said as he smiled at Lucia, he would never be able to let her go again and he couldn’t wait for their daughter to be born.

Lucia Castro was the love of his life and the footballer was determined that it would all work out, he wasn’t going to allow Lucia to think for a moment that he didn’t love her.

Gerard smirked this was the Lionel that he loved and remembered, it had been ages since he had seen him like this and he knew it was down to Lucia.

Lucia had more power over Lionel than she knew and if she wasn’t careful then there was a chance that if she left him again then she would break him completely; there would be no recovering from that.