Part One - Chapter Seventeen: Making Friends

“Why are you looking through my clothes?” Lucia asked as she watched Shakira sort through her wardrobe that she shared with Lionel; she frowned as she eyed the mountain of clothes that the singer was throwing out of her wardrobe.

Shakira poked her head out of the wardrobe, she knew that while some of Lucia’s clothes would be okay if she wanted to pull off being Lionel Messi’s wife then she was going to need some new clothes.

“Seeing what I have to work with,” Shakira said as she chewed on her lip, a lot of Lucia’s clothes were incredibly old and worn and the singer was all too aware what the press would say if Lucia didn’t look right.

Lucia looked at Shakira confused as she wondered what she meant, she knew that some of her clothes were old but she didn’t think that they were this bad; she had never had much money and only replaced clothes when they really did it.

“Okay I will be honest, I know what happened between you and Leo,” Shakira said as she crossed her arms, the Colombian had known that there was something odd about how quickly Lionel had gotten married and she had done some research and had been able to dig up a bit about what had happened.

Lucia stared at the older blonde wondering where she was going with this, no one but select people knew that she had married Lionel because of a contract; even then no one would know that her husband had contracted Barcelona to do it.

“Maria Sol told me… she accidentally let it slip when I called last week, I know that Leo contracted you as his wife, I know that you are his childhood best friend and I know you are in love with him,” Shakira said as she listed the things that she had found out from Lionel’s sister.

Maria Sol hadn’t meant to tell her so much, the young brunette had thought that her brother had at least told his close friends about what he had gone and done.

Lucia blinked as she opened her mouth and closed it, she wasn’t sure what to say but she knew that this was out of her depth.

“It’s okay, I’m not going to shout or anything… I want to help you,” Shakira said knowing what it was like to love someone so much but they didn’t love you back; she didn’t want that for Lucia and she knew that Lionel cared for the blonde deeply it was only going to take time for him to fall for her.

The two women were silent as Shakira watched Lucia, she could see that the younger woman was nervous and she didn’t blame her; this had been something that had to remain a secret and Shakira wanted nothing more than to help.

“Okay so the first thing you need is a new wardrobe, Leo might not mind your old clothes but the press will have a field day,” Shakira said knowing that Lucia was going to need a good friend and she was determined to be there for her in any way that she needed.

Lucia looked at Shakira, she didn’t know why the older woman wanted to help her but she was sort of grateful; she was someone in the media eye now and she was going to have to look a certain way.

***

“So how long have you been in love with Leo?” Shakira asked as she led Lucia through another designer store, the blonde was grateful that Lionel at least had the presence of mind to give his wife an allowance so that she could get some clothes and things that she might need.

Lucia stopped admiring a top that she had been looking at and turned to face the singer a little surprised at her words; she had heard what she had said earlier but Lucia had hoped that Shakira would have forgotten about it.

“Is it that obvious?” Lucia whispered, she had thought that those feelings had long since gone but they had slowly started making themselves known again.

Shakira nodded her head as she smiled at Lucia, she had saw how the blonde looked at Lionel and she couldn’t deny that she was happy for him.

“I had a crush on him before he left to come here… I was heartbroken that he left me behind,” Lucia admitted a little embarrassed making Shakira smile at her, she had never told anyone how she felt about the footballer and she was glad that she had someone to now talk too.

Shakira nodded her head, she had felt the same when she had meet Gerard, he had become her everything and they had a wonderful little boy now.

“I don’t think he feels the same though,” Lucia mused as she looked down at her hands, she knew that Lionel had only married her because she was his only proper option; he didn’t think he could ever find love.

Shakira offered Lucia a small smile, she didn’t doubt that Lionel did love Lucia even if he didn’t realise it yet, she knew the couple had been married for three weeks but there was a lot of chemistry between them.

“I have a feeling he will do one day,” Shakira said reassuring Lucia, she wanted to give her hope especially since anything could happen and she was sure that Lionel would come to his sense soon.

Lucia nodded her head hopefully, ever since Lionel had gotten her Poppy, Lucia had found herself falling in love with him again; she had to be careful but she couldn’t help herself.

“If you don’t mind me asking… how is having a baby going to work?” Shakira asked knowing how much Lionel adored Milan and Lia, she didn’t doubt the footballer wanted a child of his own and she worried what he might be asking Lucia to do on that front.

Lucia chewed on her lip as she shifted nervously, she and Lionel had talked about this and it had been something that they had agreed on.

“We are going to start trying in a couple of months,” Lucia said hoping that Shakira wouldn’t ask any more questions, she felt awkward enough talking about the plans that Lionel had.

***

Lionel smiled as walked Shakira to her car, he was glad that she had taken Lucia out and was befriending her; he didn’t want his wife feeling awkward and alone.

“Gracias for doing that,” Lionel said making Shakira nod her head, she’d been given a lot to think about while she had been with Lucia; she knew that Lionel was a nice guy but she couldn’t help but worry for her new friend.

There was nothing to protect Lucia if this all went pear-shaped and she was determined to ensure that her new friend didn’t get hurt by Lionel or by anyone else.

“Look after her Leo,” Shakira said softly as she offered the footballer a small smile, she didn’t know what Lionel had been thinking when he had done this; this marriage would only end in tears if she didn’t make sure that Lionel realised that he was in love with Lucia.

Lionel nodded his head, he had no idea that Shakira knew of his arrangement with Lucia and he wasn’t aware that she had told Gerard about what he had done.

“And Leo… if you ever do anything to hurt her, you’ll not only have me to deal with but Geri as well,” Shakira threatened as she looked at Lionel, she didn’t care if he didn’t catch her meaning; she was aware that if Antonella ever came back then he would drop Lucia like a sack of potatoes just so that he could get back with his ex-girlfriend.

Lionel stared at Shakira confused as she walked away wondering what she was talking about.