Part Two - Chapter Two: The Charity Match

Lucia chewed on her lip as she stared down at the programme that Francis had gotten for her, her blue eyes locked on the name of the professional captain wondering how she couldn’t have known he would come.

Lucia had heard that Barcelona was sending a couple of professionals to play in the match and it hadn’t even crossed her mind that Lionel might have been one of them until now.

“Will you be okay?” Francis asked as he looked at Lucia concerned, he knew that this wasn’t going to be easy for her since she had barely spoken to Lionel since she left Barcelona five months ago.

Lucia nodded her head as she closed her programme, she felt nervous about seeing her husband this close up since they were sat on the front row.

Francis had gotten them really good tickets since he hadn’t known that Lionel was going to be there.

Lucia took a shaky breath as the teams came on to the match for the first half, she rested a hand on her bump at the sight of her estranged husband.

Shakira had told Lucia shortly after she had left Lionel behind that Antonella had gone back to Argentina because she had a boyfriend; the singer had been Lucia’s eyes and ears on what was happening back home even if she wasn’t speaking to Lionel.

“Have you made a decision yet?” Francis asked carefully as the two captains shook hands, he knew that Lucia would be going back to Barcelona for the sake of her unborn daughter but that didn’t mean that she would be taking Lionel back for what he had done.

Lucia flashed a look at Francis, she had thought long and hard about her marriage and she still wasn’t quite sure what she was going to do.

“Not yet… I need to speak to Leo first,” Lucia said as she smiled softly, her blue eyes seeking out her husband who was wearing green jersey; she had a feeling that it was going to be an interesting match.

***

Lionel wiped the sweat from his face as the match came to an end, he smiled as he waved to a couple of the fans; he clapped his hands as he walked off the pitch.

Lionel felt exhausted and he wouldn’t be resting since he had plans to seek out Lucia. Lionel didn’t know where his wife was and in the two days since he had arrived in Rome, all he had done was look for her.

“You played well,” Gerard said patting his friend on the shoulder, he knew that Lionel was desperate to see Lucia again and Gerard couldn’t wait to tell him who he had seen during the match.

Gerard knew how distracted Lionel got during a match and that he hardly ever paid attention to the crowds that sat around the pitch; it was the reason that he hadn’t realised that Lucia was watching him.

“So I saw Lucy in the crowd,” Gerard said smugly as he looked down at his best friend, he chuckled as Lionel’s head snapped up at him realising what his friend had said to him.

Lionel’s mind spun at the knowledge that Lucia had been watching him, his heartbeat wildly as he turned quickly to head back out onto the pitch to search for her only for Gerard to stop him.

“I need to see her Geri… I need to win her back,” Lionel said as he struggled against his best friend’s hold, he’d been an idiot to allow Lucia to walk away and he wasn’t going to let it happen again.

Gerard laughed softly as he spotted Francis approaching them, he had a feeling that Lucia wouldn’t be too far behind her boss.

“Good because if you mess this up, I’ll kill you myself Messi,” Francis said as he looked at the footballer, he stopped a few feet from him knowing that Lionel disliked him and the feeling was more than mutual right now.

Lionel turned to glare at the man that had taken his wife from him, he knew it was stupid but he held Francis responsible for him losing Lucia like he had.

“Lucy will be here soon… she had to run to the ladies room,” Francis said as he eyed the two footballers, he had only come for his best friend and she would need him in case Lionel was going to be an idiot again.

Gerard nodded his head they probably had Francis to thank for Lucia being at the match anyway; Lucia had been enjoying her life in Italy and he had heard all about it from Shakira when the two spoke.

“How is she?” Lionel asked hopefully as he pulled away from Gerard and looked at Francis, he knew the other man didn’t owe him anything but it didn’t stop him from worrying about his wife.

Francis stared at Lionel knowing that the footballer had his work cut out for him if he wanted Lucia back; he had pleaded with Lucia to give the Argentinian a hard time.

“I’m fine,” Lucia said as she appeared wearing a green maternity crew neck top with long sleeves and maternity skinny jeans paired with black slip on trainers.

Lucia brushed some hair from her face as she looked at her estranged husband and offered him a weak smile, she could see the awe on his face as she shouldered her black studded tassel clutch bag with across body strap.

“Lia…” Lionel breathed in wonderment at the sight of his heavily pregnant wife, he knew that there was still six weeks left until their baby was born but she looked amazing.

Lucia looked a lot better than she had when Lionel had last seen her and it was clear that five months in Rome had been good for her.

“It’s nice to see you too Lionel,” Lucia said as she rested a hand on the bump, they had so much to talk about and this wasn’t the place or time for them to do so.

Lionel swallowed as he looked down at the bump, he couldn’t believe how big she had gotten in five months and it scared him about what he could have missed; he wished that he could have been there for her.

“We just thought we’d come and say Hola,” Francis said before an awkward silence could descend, he looked at Lucia, they would have to leave in a few moments if they wanted to beat the late afternoon traffic through the city back to their apartments.

Lucia nodded her head as she moved nervously as she tried to think of something to say, she was surprised how awkward it was right now; even if she was aware how difficult this was going to be.

“We better get going,” Francis said as he sensed that no one was going to do or say anything, he moved to rest a hand on Lucia’s back when Lionel stepped forward panicked at losing his wife so soon.

Lionel shot a look at Gerard as he realised that he needed to speak with Lucia now and he wasn’t going to waste any more time so that Francis could steal her away from him.

“Why doesn’t Leo take Lia home? They have a lot to talk about,” Gerard intervened as he stared down at Francis, he had a feeling that the other man had reasons for trying to hurry Lucia away and he wasn’t going to allow Lionel to lose his wife without a fight.

Francis glared at the taller Spaniard, Gerard was only trying to help but he didn’t want Lionel talking to Lucia alone in case he upset her; she had worked hard to put the past behind her.

“That sounds like a good idea… I will see you tomorrow Francis,” Lucia said making the three men look at her, they stared at her as Lionel smiled weakly at his wife knowing that he was glad that she had agreed.

Francis frowned as he looked at Lucia, he hoped that she knew what she was doing.