Part Two - Chapter Twenty-Seven: Lionel's Family

Brushing the wet hair from his eyes, Lionel grinned stepping into his hotel room and watched as Lucia set Maia down for a nap; he had just finished his shower and had a white towel wrapped around his hips.

Argentina had just qualified for the round of sixteen and still had one more match before the round of sixteen, it was a relief to Lionel after so many teams had been knocked out.

“You played well,” Lucia said softly smiling at Lionel, she had watched the match at the stadium before retreating back to the hotel with Maia where Lionel had joined them.

Lionel nodded his head watching his wife sit down on his bed, he had handed Lucia his room key since he wanted her and Maia close to him.

“Gracias,” Lionel said moving to pull out some clear boxers, he peeked over at Lucia with a smile before he completely dropped his towel; it wasn’t anything that she hadn’t seen before.

Lucia made a small noise in the back of her throat as she watched him pull on his boxers, she averted her gaze as Lionel looked at her; she couldn’t believe that he was her husband.

“So I was thinking that we go out for a meal for your birthday,” Lucia said trying to change the conversation and ignore the sexual tension in the room; she cursed her pregnancy hormones for messing her up right now.

Lionel chuckled as he adjusted his underwear, he nodded his head watching his wife knowing that he affected her a lot more than she was letting on; he couldn’t wait to have her to himself for a little while.

“Your madre still okay to have Maia for a week?” Lionel asked pulling on some low hanging sweat pants, he didn’t want to be parted from his daughter but he needed some time with Lucia alone.

Lucia nodded her head looking over at Maia, she loved her daughter and was a little sad that she’d be going to Argentina for a week; it was so the blonde could relax for a while with her husband.

“She’s leaves the day after your birthday,” Lucia said softly, Lionel sat beside her, he took her hand and pressed a kiss to it; they needed time to themselves and with Lucia pregnant again, now was the best time to do so even with the world cup on.

“It’ll be okay… it’s just for one week,” Lionel murmured drawing his wife closer, he kissed her soundly as he wrapped his arms around her; he gently brushed his tongue against her lips in hopes that she would open up to him.

Lucia wrapped her arms around Lionel’s neck before Maia made a sound making the couple pull apart; Lionel groaned as he flopped back on his bed.

***

“Why is she still hanging about?” Sergio muttered annoyed sitting at the dining table with Lionel and Lucia as they enjoyed some dinner with Maia; he cooed at the four month old.

Lucia looked back at Antonella who was sat several tables away from them, she had heard all about what had happened and it made her nervous that the other woman was staying at their hotel.

Lionel didn’t look back as he took his wife’s hand and laced their fingers, he had no interest in Antonella and he wasn’t going to make things worse.

“I have no idea,” Lionel grumbled sipping on his drink, he smiled over at Maia who seemed content just to sit in her high chair for the dinner; she didn’t eat solid food yet and wouldn’t for another few months.

Lucia looked at her husband, he had reassured her multiple times that he had no interest in his former girlfriend; he wasn’t going to fall into that trap again and lose her, Maia or their baby.

“Just ignore her… she’ll go away eventually,” Lionel said kissing Lucia, he was doing his best to show Antonella that he wasn’t interested; he only wanted his wife and would never go back to her.

Lucia smiled at him softly, she could see what he was trying to do and it was a shame that Antonella wasn’t taking the hint.

Sergio grinned as he watched his friend with his wife, he was so glad that Lionel had come to his senses and hadn’t let Lucia slip through his fingers; the blonde was perfect for him in every way.

“So what are your plans for your birthday?” Sergio asked as he leant his arms on the table, Lionel was going to turn twenty-seven in a few days and the team were happy for him.

Lucia nibbled on some fruit as she peeked at Maia, who was happy playing with some blocks; she was happy to play while her parents enjoyed their dinner.

“Nothing special,” Lionel said looking over at Maia, he just wanted a nice quiet day with his wife and daughter; he hadn’t had much of those since the tournament had started and he couldn’t wait.

Sergio rolled his eyes and grinned looking at his best friend, the team had something planned and they hoped that Lucia wouldn’t mind if they borrowed her husband for the night.

***

Lionel smiled bouncing Maia carefully in his arms, he stepped silently out onto his balcony so that they didn’t wake Lucia; the footballer was so happy and he wasn’t going to mess things up.

Lucia was sound asleep and Lionel had picked Maia up as soon as she started whimpering, his wife deserved to rest and he didn’t mind having their daughter for a couple of hours.

“We’ll let mama get some sleep,” Lionel murmured looking out over the beach that the hotel looked out over, he pressed a tender kiss to the top of Maia’s head; he smiled as he sat down in one of the chairs as the sun slowly rose.

Maia rested her head on her father’s bare chest, her blonde curls blowing slightly in the wind as Lionel held her close to his heart.

“Te amo,” Lionel whispered kissing her head again, he would never walk away from his family for anyone; Lucia, Maia and the baby were it for him and Lionel could never be away from them for too long.

Lionel had made that mistake once before and had nearly lost Lucia completely while Maia wouldn’t have been born; he shuddered at that thought as he looked down at his daughter.

It was hard to imagine a world without his daughter in it, she meant so much to him and the thought of losing Lucia scared him just as much.

“Papa was silly once and he nearly lost you and your mama,” Lionel whispered holding Maia closer to him so she didn’t get chilly, he looked out over the beach as he thought about how different his life would have been if he had continued with his affair with Antonella.

Lionel cursed the way he had been a year before, he cursed that Antonella had come back into his life and he would never forgive himself for what he had put his wife through.

Lucia was a wonderful woman and she deserved so much better than him, she should have divorced him when she had ended up in hospital after suffering the near miscarriage.

Lionel swallowed blinking away his tears, he had been an idiot and he knew that he would spend the rest of his life making up for what had happened a year before.

Lucia would never regret giving him a second chance and they were going to live long happy lives together.