Part Two - Chapter Twenty-One: Goodbye Daddy

Lucia took a shaky breath climbing out of the funeral car, she stared at the hearse that stood just feet from her carrying her father’s coffin.

Lucia swallowed as Lionel stood beside her, today had been hard enough and the couple had left their daughter in the capable hands of a family friend for a couple of hours.

Lucia was wearing a black pencil dress with cowl neck paired with black multi strap heeled sandals and a black quilted clutch bag.

Lucia smiled weakly as Lionel took her hand and drew her close, everyone had gathered for the funeral and it wasn’t easy for anyone since the death had been a shock for Andres’s death.

“Are you okay?” Lionel asked softly drawing his wife close as the back of the hearse was opened and the coffin slowly lifted out of it; he swallowed knowing that he had to be strong for Lucia’s sake.

Lucia nodded her head as she leant into her husband, the coffin looked so small for her father and she still couldn’t believe that he was gone.

Lionel wrapped his arm around Lucia as he slowly led her forward as the coffin was carried into the church, he nodded at people as he walked them into the church following Annabelle.

Lucia took a deep breath as she stared at her father’s coffin, she had never thought that this day would come and she was glad that she had Lionel by her side.

The couple carefully sat down on the front row beside Annabelle, the room quickly filled with people as they all came to pay their respects to a husband, father and grandfather that had lost his battle with illness.

***

Lucia quietly stepped out of her childhood home were a small gathering had formed, she closed the door behind her as she closed her blue eyes and took a shaky breath.

The funeral had been beautiful and Lucia was happy to see that her father would be well remembered by the people that he had left behind even if it didn’t make his loss easier on her.

Lucia walked through the garden and made her way over to the small bench that was sat in the corner, she shivered slightly at the cool evening air that nipped at her skin as she moved to sit down.

Lucia tried to swallow the lump that had formed in her throat, she couldn’t stand being inside any longer as people laughed and celebrated her father’s life.

It seemed so strange to Lucia and she couldn’t bear to be a part of it, she wanted to grieve quietly for a while as she tried to wrap her head around the fact that her daddy was gone.

“Lia,” Lionel murmured as he stepped into the garden, he closed the door behind him knowing he didn’t want his wife to be alone right now; he feared what would happen if she was.

Lionel peeked around the garden where he used to play with his wife, a fond smile forming on his lips as he remembered the games that they used to play.

Lionel shook his head, the garden was quite run down now and he made a mental note to hire someone to come and do it up for Annabelle; she deserved somewhere nice to sit outside during the summer.

Lionel quietly walked over to his wife and sighed sitting down beside her, he looked up at the darkening sky knowing that he didn’t know what to say.

“I can’t believe he’s gone,” Lucia whispered trying to wrap her head around the fact that her father was gone, it hadn’t felt real before now and she wasn’t sure what she would do without him.

Lionel carefully removed his suit jacket and wrapped it around his wife’s shoulders, he drew her close in comfort knowing that he would do anything to take away her pain and sadness.

“He’s not gone… he’ll always be with you,” Lionel said gently pressing a kiss to Lucia’s head as she cuddled into his side, he knew that he couldn’t understand her pain and he wished that he could help her in some way.

Lucia sniffled cuddling into Lionel’s side, she was glad that he had come after her since she needed him right now.

“Do you want to head home?” Lionel asked knowing that his wife wasn’t in the mood to celebrate, she was upset and had come outside for some quiet; he didn’t want to make her uncomfortable in anyway.

Lucia nodded her head as she offered him a weak smile, she knew her mother would be fine and she wanted to have some space to clear her head.

***

Lionel closed the apartment door silently as he said his goodbye’s to his friend, he was grateful that they’d watched Maia for them while they were at the funeral and now he wanted to be alone with his family.

Lionel took a deep breath before he headed for the nursery, he wanted to check on Maia who had already been put to bed; he hoped the little girl wasn’t going to cause them much trouble that night.

Lionel stopped as he stared at his wife surprised to find her in Maia’s room, he watched her for a moment then shook his head and walked over to her.

“Lia… why don’t you go and rest? I’ll look after Maia,” Lionel said carefully hugging his wife, he didn’t want her to feel like she had to pretend that everything was okay.

Lucia nodded her head as she pressed a tender kiss to Lionel’s lips, she rested her head against his as she hugged him for a moment; she closed her blue eyes knowing that she was so lucky to have him.

“Go… I’ll be with you in a moment,” Lionel urged nudging his wife, she deserved to rest and he knew that it wouldn’t take both of them to care for her tonight.

Lionel watched Lucia leave the nursery and sighed as he smiled down at his daughter, he was going to do everything in his power to make sure that Maia grew up never wanting for anything in her life.

Pressing a kiss to the dark blonde curls that his daughter had, Lionel made sure that she was warm enough before he quietly left the nursery to check on Lucia.

Lionel smiled sadly as he watched Lucia remove her black heels and rub her feet, it had been a long day and he didn’t blame her for wanting to relax.

Lionel moved to hang up his suit jacket when Lucia stopped him, he paused and looked at his wife concerned as she got to her feet and kissed him softly.

Lucia wrapped her arms around Lionel’s neck knowing what she wanted right now, she brushed her fingers through her husband’s hair as he kissed her back.

Lucia pulled back slightly from Lionel, she offered him a small smile as she started to unbutton his shirt before he stopped her.

His brown eyes held concerned wondering if this was what his wife truly wanted, he didn’t want to push her to do something that she wasn’t prepared for; he knew she was upset.

“Lia?” Lionel asked moving some hair from her face, his brown eyes searched her blue ones as he tried to work out if this was what she truly wanted right now.

Lucia nodded her head as she brushed her lips against his, she could see why he was hesitating and she was thankful that he wasn’t going to push her; however this was what she wanted and there was no changing her mind.

Lionel paused for a moment longer before he kissed his wife passionately, he knew that whatever happened that he would always be there for her and Maia.