Vents

What the hell just happened?

To answer my question, a buzz filled the air. It was heavy and mechanical. A loud whistle and a click, and then... a voice. "Heeellloooo!!" It sung, corroded with radio static, "I'm so glad you could join us!" "Who are you?" I replied, glancing around the room slowly as to not move my shoulder. "The call me Red! And you're our cute katie-bug! The bosses very own pick! Congrats on that, bee-tea-dubs." I found it. A black-red box that fit snug in the corner of the room above my head looked like a speaker. Next to it was a round semi-sphere: a camera. "The boss?" Red, clearly a male voice, laughed at my question.

"You're so innocent. The man you just met is practically the owner of this whole place." He said it like I should've already known.
"And you..." He cut me off with a quick answer, "I'm the security guy. I watch over the place. I'm only supposed to watch this floor as of recently, but I can handle the whole place if I tried."
"The whole place, huh? ..where are we?" I almost didn't want to know but, the gaps in my memory begged for answers.
"I can't tell you that. The people who 'work' here and how many there are is confidential as well."
It got quiet for a while, I was anxious he'd leave me alone with the screams so, I spoke up. I still needed to know so much more and he seemed to know all of the answers.
"So the 'boss'," I swallowed at the thought of one man being capable of running something like this, "he picked me?"
"Suuure did. You were his personal pick of the litter, Katie kat." The word 'personal' held a different meaning with the way he said it.
"He picked me." I stared straight at the door in front of me, thinking through the rest of my life.
"I guess third times the charm..." he laughed at himself, "He sure did. What a lucky girl you are. Y'know that kiss he gave you? It's like a secrete message for everyone else to back off. Too bad too, people really thought you were a pretty one."
"I don't think this counts as lucky at all." My voice was quiet, but he herd me just as well.
"Sure it does, darling." Red sounded sentimental. Was he pitting me? "Just wait and see. For one thing, people on this floor are usually tied up a bit more... uncomfortably." He giggled lightly, "Hey, how's your arm? The boss either hits ya hard enough to snap a bone or he held back."
"It's not broken. It started bleeding but he wrapped it up... why do you think he did that?"
    He was quiet for a while. "...I dunno." Was the last words he told me. Did he not see that part? The sound of static stayed in my cell for a while, it muffled out some screams... Turning my heart over, it's buzzy noise shut off suddenly. The quietness was unnerving now that I realized what lyes beyond the door I stared at.

    Crun-cha—vmm... somewhere off in the walls, a loud ventilation system turned on. The hum was calming. That is until, instead of a cool breeze of air conditioning, hot gas spewed into the cell. It was suffocating and smelled worse than the decaying bodies around me. I coughed and wheezed until the colors around me started to spin.

And then, darkness.