Move

By now, Alex knew all that he needed to and was running at top speed. It reminded me of something I wanted to know: "How'd you two find me before Alex did?" Zack turned and leaned on the desk, a smile on his face. "I saw when Boss-man left his place again. I waited a little while, but.." Leon popped open a cardboard box and shuffled through it, nodding along with his story. "When you tried to talk to me, I wasn't there?" Zack nodded, "That, and I can look through the cameras and pinpoint where you were brought before Alex had time to get back." It's obvious. Zach is security. Of course he'd find me. It's his job.

    Leon was quiet. He sometimes shuffled through the boxes, but I think he liked it best when he was leaning against a wall, watching over the room. Zack was comfortable where he was. He confidently tried to make conversation with me when he wasn't keeping an eye on Alex. "How's the scratches, Katie?" he smiled. I thought it best not to worry them, "I barely feel anything right now." Leon sighed, "It's the numbing agents. You won't be able to feel much for a little bit," he paused and glanced up from the ground to the computer, "He's gonna be here in a second," Leon told Zack calmly. "I see that," he responded in a grumble. Leon sighed again, "I'm only telling you because -" One heavy punch was made from outside of the room, cutting Leon off with a cold shiver. "Because of that."

    "Zack," It was Alex. A whole wall of metal didn't make his voice sound any quieter. He. Was. Pissed. "Who is it?" Zack flipped around and lazily found his way to the center of the room, singing jokes... harmlessly. Alex wasn't having it. "Zack, I swea-" "No!! I'm Zack. You're Alex. Now -" Alex cut him off with one spine tingling scream of rage. Zack laughed through it, "You cut me off. Now I have to start again!" Loud punches were thrown against the door that I couldn't see. I could only imagine how the metal barrings were being torn out of the wall they were screwed into. "My name is Zack, you, sir, are Alex. Now, who is it?" Silence. Alex stopped hitting the door. Zack found this especially amusing, "Normally, I can't get a word out of the guy! This is a treat!" He whispered specifically to me with sheer joy.

    Leon understood what was about to happen just as well as Zack did. He watched as Zack found a spot in the farthest corner from the exit door, crouching down and covering his ears with a big grin on his face. It looks like he thinks a bomb is about to go off.. Wait, they don't think Alex is about to..? "I'll get it. Kathryn, stay where you are." Leon saw me starting to move, slowly and cautiously as I did. Alex could've been ready to sprint and throw his body against the door just to make it open. Why? That's just too much. He must be standing there silently, so we'll open the door, right?

    But he wasn't. If he was, the footsteps wouldn't have taken so long for me to hear them. He really was about to charge at the door full-speed. I tried my best not to imagine what could've happened if we let him. "Kate," Alex sighed once he was close enough to see me. Alex sped up, rushing over and kneeling down in front of Zacks couch. His face was stressed out. His eyes were hazy and squinting. He was breathing heavily, and he didn't know if it was okay to do anything. "Is she okay?" He didn't look away for a second. His worried gaze looked me over again and again. The pure relief that shot through his body made his eyes tear up. 

"She's going to be alright. But, I advise caution..." Leon was behind Alex now, tapping on his shoulder and failing to get his full attention. He sighed displeasingly, "You really shouldn't. Not until I'm sure she can move without more damage being caused." Moved? I looked back over to Alex. His face is now dark and unreadable, "How long?" He didn't look up. Even when he slowly raised his hand and grazed his forefinger against the bandage on my cheek, he wouldn't meet my eyes. Leon was quiet. "How long, Leon?" Leon slowly found the words, "A few weeks," he quivered.

That was enough to make Alex flip around and give Leon a look that sent him back a few steps. "Just until—" he stuttered. Alex wasn't having it; he stood and stared down at Leon. All I could see was his stiff shoulders and the back side of him... and Leon's face, looking back up at the towering man. His face was white as a ghost, and his eyes were wide. He was shaking, "I-I-.." Zack stepped up from his computers, "Leave the kid alone. You're gonna give him a heart attack!" Zack.. he said he wasn't scared of Alex, but even where I sat, the air around Alex was enough to make any person shrink and obey. "It'll be good for her," Zach said in an authorized voice. The kind Leon failed to manifest. Alex wasn't budging, "She's going with me. I'll make sure she's safe." His low voice threw me for a loop. My heart picked up, and my stomach roared. I wanted to run away.

Zack tried another approach, "The wound you gave her is healing nicely," he threw a scary grin at Alex. His shoulders slowly rested, and his fists tightened in a different way. He must've forgotten in all of the commotion... but why did that make him so calm? Leon was straightening back up and regaining his stability, "Kathryn," he wasn't stuttering anymore, "This will be okay with you, too, right?" Leon considered me in all of this? I bit my lip and nodded. Why do I feel disappointed? Alex turned around, his expression worried and calm, "Kate," he knelt back down and put his hand on my knee. He sighed and looked me in the eyes. The parting feeling they gave me deep inside brought an idea to me.

I smiled softly for him, closing my eyes and tilting my head just a bit. I wonder what he'll do if I pull my best greeting look on him.. It was the look I used all of the time back at the bar. It worked differently on everyone.. Alex took my cheek where he wasn't touching a bandage, "I'm sorry," he whispered to me and only me. I could feel his slow breaths again, right on my warm cheeks. I dropped the smile and opened my eyes, immediately meeting his. Is he..? His seductive eyes were back. Our lips grazed each other just barely... he's not waiting for me to accept him this time. "HEY!!" Zack sounded pissed. Alex closed his eyes and groaned, slipping his hand from my cheek and standing slowly. "Aw~don't look so sad, Katie-bug! You can thank me later!" I looked sad...?