Logic

So it was just coincidence? That Alex saw me at a human auction and claimed me? Nothing else... He just had an instinct of greed and went with it? Then, May--

May.. He picked May too, right? Was that out of instinct too? Alex was quiet. He just finished his explanation that was supposed to clear some of my questions up. It only caused more to arise. I didn't know what to make of it but, I couldn't just sit there and let the awkward settle it. "What about May?" I asked simply. Alex didn't understand the question. He stayed quiet and looked up at me with blatant confusion on his face. I smiled at his dumb expression. Somehow it was humorous seeing him like that after struggling to get his words out.

I tried asking again but, this time, I explained my thinking along with the question, "You talk like you let her go after me. As though it was all your fault... as though she wouldn't have done this if you were constantly on guard." He nodded and took it seriously, "Yes. It is true, isn't it?" He sounded hurt and nearly looked away again before I could finish, "When she was.. doing this," I looked down at my bloody wrappings, "She kept asking me questions. They were all about you, Alex. She was angry because you picked me and wanted revenge."

Alex picked at what I said until he understood it wrong, "I should've taken responsibility and protected you since day one, Kate," His voice was passionate and angry with me. Like I wanted him to apologize again and again. "You being around more would've worsened her hatred for me. The first chance she got, she would've killed me on the spot just to get closer to you."

He popped up when I said the word 'killed'. "What happened was the best outcome that could've happened. Her attacking was inevitable. Once you took me away from others, she had it out for me." Alex nodded and opened his mouth to speak. I knew what he was about to say, though. He still felt responsible and needed to wright the wrongs... immediately. I shook my head and started talking before he could, "Right now, you can't do anything more than what you already are, right?" He tried to speak and deny it but lost the words.

He had nothing better to answer with, yet, he still searched for something. Maybe his lack of control in this conversation was getting to him. So, I restated my question with a stronger tone. "You can't do anything more for me than what you already are. Whatever it is that you're stuck on doing, it can wait. May won't show her face around here for a long time." He was frustrated with my stern voice even though he knew I was right. He didn't like me telling him. He didn't like it at all.

He calmed his stressed shoulders and shot me a strong look, "She might never come back. I have to make her pay before she gets too far." I shook my head, "She'll come back." He was in disbelief and responded with a snarky "How do you know?" I nearly popped a smile, his child-like voice came out so pouty, "She did this so she could be with you. She's not gonna go far." He wasn't too sure about it but chose not to voice his doubts. He huffed and shrugged and fidgeted but, in the end, he didn't know how to handle this situation. He was used to people being below him and nothing more.

"Then, it's agreed? You'll calm down until she decides to show herself, right?" I was calm and talked with a voice my mother used with me as a child. Stern and professional but still holding that hint of i-know-what's-best. I remember it working all too well. Somehow, it made me trust her. It made him give in. He nodded to my question solemnly, having lost this battle.

His face no longer looked so angry. Maybe frustrated and annoyed but not angry. Somehow, I trust he won't go after May so soon.