Speak Up

My throat was parched, talking hurt everything at once, but.. I glanced at Zack, "You're the first kind face I've met since waking up here." I slowly picked myself up and sat properly on the couch, "I'm sorry for not being as thankful to you as I should've been," that bit was exaggerated a little. Being down here was hell enough. Somewhere deep down, I know it would've been better if no one found me in there. So May could've... Should've ended my story there. The pain would've stopped there. But, here I am on a lumpy couch, unsure of the breaths I take. "No," Zack plopped back down on his chair, "don't apologize, I get it."

Eventually, Zack did remember to unlock the door. Leon didn't bother coming back for another hour or so, anyway. By the time he did, Zack had thrown on a new-age cartoon. He's seen it all but he wanted to watch with me anyway. He was screaming and laughing like it was the first time he'd ever seen a T.V. show before. It took me a while to feel comfortable in my own skin again. I fidgeted a lot and glanced at the computer screens all around us that he kept the cameras on. Alex was on one of them at all times. Zack said that he wanted to see what he was up to anyway. It still reminded me of what he said. He said he "gets it" . What does that mean? He understands what I'm going through? How could he? He's like all the others down here. A heartless- I glanced at his overly joyous face. Heartless was the complete opposite description of this man. He tried so hard to make the air around him friendly and his face hardly ever looked down.

Something tells me he's nothing like the others down here. Leon, too. He helps people instead of hurt them. The bandages on my numb body pressed against my skin a little bit more with every second. "It's around now when the sedative should be wearing off entirely." Leon pushed through the door, unsurpassed by me having been moved. He must've expected it. Zack smiled at Leon's angelic, bored face and then, back to grinning at the cartoon. "You saw how strong she was in May's cage. It took, like, three whole jabs to get her down," he waved at Leon who was holding medication in his hands. "It doesn't make her immune to pain," Leon said, defensive about his work. I turned slightly and nodded, "It'll be fine. I'm okay." Leon flinched, "You most certainly are not! Maybe you don't even understand your own severity but," he pulled at his long, fluffy white hair above his forehead and closed his eyes hard, "Just trust me, Kathryn. You could've died back there." With a pinch of his nose, his stress-ridden eyebrows loosened and his soft hair fell back into it's original frizz. I know that I could've... If only I had. I thought wishfully.

Leon pulled his thoughts together and pushed up his glasses, "I know what you're thinking," he took a step back and leaned against the wall besides the door, "You think it would've been better if May took your life." I stared at his baby-blue eye'd face with my mouth slightly ajar. How did he- Leon nodded at my reaction, "Now I'm positive," he was about to say more but Zack was listening and had something new to yell about. "You WHAT?" Zack was more angry than concerned, "Do you understand what Alex would've done?! This is the first time in decades!" Zack threw his hands up and his head nearly burst with passion, "YEARS this guy has waited for something to interest him again!! And you want to give up? Let May take you away before you two have a proper conversation?! Do you even realize-"

Zack stopped short of his rant. Something was next, something big. It was on the tip of his tongue and he sealed it with his lips. It was too big for him to tell me. His shoulders dropped along with his voice, "We couldn't even be sure what he'd do, Katie," from his half-way standing place, he sat back down and got quiet, folding his arms in aggravation. Leon didn't have anything more to add. Alex "Waited for something to interest him again", he said. There was someone before me, wasn't there? I decided to ask them, "Did he have something to interest him before? What happened to it?" Leon perked up, "It was a them, not an it," he quickly corrected me without thinking, "He did have someone, but... That's before either of us were here." They didn't say what happened to this person and I began assuming the worse. "Did he kill them?" I said it low as to not overstep my boundaries. Zack herd me anyway, "No, Katie. He might soon, though," he popped the keyboard a few times and the cartoon was switched to Alex's camera. He was standing in front of a door, tense and quiet. It was a sight that made my body throb.