Run

Saved by the bell.

Some loud siren was what rushed Alex to a halt. He was completely different from moments before, quickly standing and honed in on the noises. I began to question myself. How could I let this man so close to me? The thought of it made hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Alex was staring at the screen, now switched back to the multi-view. A brick-like sight of reds and browns. He was tense and, every time the buzz was brought back up again, his hands flinched into fists. "What is that?" I asked as slowly as I could. He stood straight and quietly responded, "A runner." Runner? "You mean someone's escaping?" Flurries in my heart shot up again.

I think he wanted to glare at me for saying 'someone's escaping?' so excitedly but, his mind was too occupied. "I have to go." His sweet voice didn't match the long, fast steps he took. "I'll be back soon." He passed me and walked straight over to the metal door, picked up his bat, and left. The silence felt heavy on my ears. I wanted a drink.

It seems like years since the last time I was at a bar called The Kraze. Something about that place was like a home away from home. There wasn't all too many people who went in that bar. A few people were like me and came in often but that was about it. Sometimes, the owner would host some band that drew in a lot of attention. I remember something from one of those nights. A feeling that never left me. I must have checked behind me a hundred times that night. Eyes from someone distant, never drawing close, never falling away. It feels the same whenever Alex makes me look back at him. Now that I think about it, I can't help but wonder.

    Is that where I first saw him?

I had a few minutes worth of alone time. The audio from the T.V. was out and the siren was shut off soon after Alex left. How could someone escape? I remembered my cell. It was small and would've only taken me a few seconds to reach the door if unchained. The chains were metal and didn't seem rusty or breakable. I rung my hands over the wrappings around my wrists, throbbing spurred around where I touched. Still tender. The door was definitely locked from the outside. Zack even said that I was chained up loosely compared to the others on this floor. Maybe it's someone on a different floor? One that's less secure..? How many floors are there to this place? Questions followed by more questions again. I was running around in circles.

    "Katie-buuug!" I looked up to the television in surprise. Zack called through it, "How's my best girl? Did Alex hurt you again? You know, I'd never hurt you like he did. It isn't physically possible for me." He seemed cheerful; even when he talked with a forced sulky voice. "Zack? I thought Alex-" "Didn't want me talking to you. Why do you think that room doesn't have a speaker in it?" The subject irritated him. I could tell by how fast he changed it even though he didn't loose his hyper voice once. "How exciting is this, Katie? You must be shivering!" "Right... Alex went after a runner, " I mumbled to myself, "Is he okay?" I asked him. Zack was quiet for a second as the slight tapping of a keyboard brought the T.V. to life.

The cameras switched from the horrendously red and musty rooms to dark metal hallways with a airlock door on either side. They were empty; no people in sight. Zack sighed, "Where's waldo..." he spoke to himself in a serious and excited voice. Who's he looking for? The runner? The next stationary camera caught a white blur. It was just a glimpse at the end of the hall but, it was enough. "Got 'em!" and the chase was on. "Who is that? How did they get out?" Zack chuckled at my innocence, "That's the doc, Katie. He is a pure angel, let me tell you." Cameras switched just as fast as he ran by them. The places that they were rushing past seemed like a repeating hallway; they were all so similar. I subconsciously touched the wrappings on my shoulder. Another camera popped up, the lighting a little better in this one. A shadow, taller than the brightly dressed doctor was following him. "Oh, there he is. Such a dark outfit! He's camouflaged in there." It's like he's commentating on a football match. "Already? Man!" He was disappointed in something. "What?" Zack scoffed as the sound on the T.V. was restored. Huffing and charred stomps on hard metal echoed through the halls. Two men chasing each others' tail without a voice between them. "Six..." A sweet voice that I've not herd yet mumbled numbers through the silence. "...Five..." He counted down to himself as Alex began to slow down and loose his pace. The breathing was too deep; too scruffy to have came from the white-haired doctor. Alex was struggling to keep his headway.