Regret

Alex knew where I was going with all this. My thought process was easy to track. I squinted, "You think that everything that's happened up until now is your fault?" He laughed weirdly, "That's exactly what I've been thinking. From the moment you were brought down here, this," the blood-dried bandages on my torso were pointed to again and so was my shoulder. "This was inevitable, right? As soon as you were inside, someone was going to do things like this to you."

Paul was the worst partner for field work, I'll admit, but he didn't deserve such harshness. He didn't deserve to die. Neither did my parents. My head found a way to feel less guilty for his demise. "Kathryn," Leon popped through the door with a doctor-like smile, "Your wrappings are going to need a change if," his attention traded off to Alex, "you want to take her back so suddenly." I couldn't see Alex's' face very well but, from the tension in his fists, he wasn't happy to be interrupted again. Zack didn't take long to rush up after Leon with a great big smile on his face, "Still! My Katie-bug is always welcome back for future treatment!" He kept his eyes closed and his smile wide, ignoring Alex's' intimidation trick. "Yes," Leon was searching through a box, taking out little, dark brown bottles.

    They were glass, about the size of his palm, with faded paper stickers on their side. He'd read them, drop them back down, and pick up anther. It made a pleasantly high-pitched tink noise when they dropped. "I still advise against anything too dramatic. Against my better judgment, I'll-" Alex stopped him where he was, "Kate," he ignored Leon's displeased presence entirely and turned to me. His eyes traded the angry clouds for see something much more gentle. His soft thumb traced over the bandage on my cheek as he smiled in a sad way. "You're not in any shape to be picked up and dragged away again, huh?" I shook my head, sitting here was almost too much for me. The couch was lumpy and the broken springs pressed on my back uncomfortably, digging into something bad. It hurts a lot to stay still. Being carried around would be agonizing. Not to mention, embarrassing. Alex nodded. He stood and glanced at the two nervous men before taking his bat and things with him. With a parting glance my way, he left through the metal door.

Leon was confused. Looking at the door, he stayed where he was, speechless. Zack, on the other hand, was happy with this turn of events. He hopped up and down in celebration, howling in laughter and waving his hands at my concerned face. "Good thing Waldo left!! We can finally have a proper sleep-over, Katie-BUG!!!" I feared that his howling voice carried through walls. Alex would've herd everything he had to say. Leon held back a smile as he watched Zack trot around with joy. I wondered how those two got along at all. Looking around, it seems as though this place was shared between them. Maybe it's not by choice, but by lack of places for either of them to stay. They mustn't have a choice but to get along. Once I agreed with myself, because that was the most reasonable outcome, Zack smiled at me and stood still (wow), "What do you wanna do, Katie?"