Sign Here

I stepped into the next room and tiptoed around the table, clinging to the wall. One glance into the assumed kitchen was all I needed to be sure I was alone. One... two... I looked. Cabinets and a busy stove remained in my memory as I pressed my forehead against the wall and sighed. No ones in there. My heart settled a bit.

    I turned around and prodded the ground with my foot, wondering if I should look at the paper or just ignore it. ..I squinted at the scribbled letters on the top of it, taking a step forward. "Read it." is what his neatly written handwriting sprawled out. It was a demand, but to whom? If it's for him, and I shouldn't see it, then why would he leave it out like this? It was decided. I'll look.

    The chars were comfortable and seemed lightly used yet looked old. I picked up the paper and unfolded it, relaxing my shoulders as I read. It was meant for me.

    "..First of all, this place you've woken up in is safe from outside threats. You shouldn't fear anything or anyone inside here. Don't even fear me." Fear him? How could I not fear him? "From here on out I won't do anything, harm you or otherwise, without your consent or saying so. I hope you'll relax a little." That sentence alone was the first one without smudged eraser marks behind it. Was he nervous? "I'll be back soon. Eat. I doubt you realize it but you've been here, out cold, a long while. It's not poisonous, either. If I wanted you dead, you wouldn't be here." He signed it with some odd cursive markings I couldn't read. All I could make out was that his name started with an A.

    The way his handwriting looked and the way he wrote it down on the paper.. it kind of looked like a contract. He even signed it, first and last name. A— something or another. He's gotta have a nice name, too. What guy name starts with a and sounds nice.. Andrew? Adam? Yeah, Adam sounds about right.. I folded the note back up as I thought.

    My stomach rumbled loudly and threw my thoughts out the window... windows aren't down here, it threw my thoughts out the door. I glanced back up at the warm biscuits and the scoop of rice on a small saucer. There's more cooking.. maybe this is all I get or maybe this is supposed to hold me over until he gets back... I hoped for the latter. Either way, my stomach hurt bad. Me sleeping held it over because I wasn't using any energy but now I'm awake and moving around. It hurt. I guess when I was in the cell, I as too focused on everything else. Hunger didn't bother me then.

    So, I indulged. Why hold back? If my death down here is in my future, a little food poisoning shouldn't faze me anyway.

    The rice was under-cooked but I guess he gave me a small portion because it wasn't ready yet. The biscuits, though... they were perfect. They were melty and filled your mouth like cotton candy, it takes in the smallest amount of saliva and breaks apart. Dissolving, almost. It was fluffier than the bed I woke up in. I couldn't help but think of reasons the A— guy had to leave in the first place. He was out killing people while I slept and ate here so calmly... the hairs on the back of my neck remained standing for the next half hour.